Standard bred Sumatras

flyingmonkeypoop

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Deer Park Washington
I am starting this new sumatra thread to discuss sumatras as the American Poultry Association describes them in the standard of perfection. If you are breeding to what the judges are placing in the shows (cornish heads, leghorn tails, phoenix tails, etc.) please don't post here and argue your reasoning. I will post more when my home internet is back up.

We finally have home internet again so I can post more! So about the dewlap, on the brahma where it is a requirement on the hens, it says about the neck- medium in length, slightly arched; rather full under throat; hens having a dewlap between wattles. Compare that to sumatras where it just says- rather long, throat full; feathers long. Now, the next similar breed is the cubalaya where it says for the hens necks: rather long and erect.
If sumatras were meant to have a huge dewlap like that splash bird does, wouldn't the standard specify it like it does for the brahmas? I can see having it full but not to the extreme like some birds. As I have said elsewhere, I will always say that sumatras are supposed to be pheasant-like, and a bid dewlap isn't very pheasant like :) Also, it says full so on some males (like one of our older males) they have a full throat that has whatever inside, but it looks full. So many of the sumatras that come from a few of the more famous lines have the dewlap, just a flap of skin that is pointless.

Here is one of our old bantam males that shows what I am talking about. Looking at his throat, it isn't just a flap of skin but it is part of the throat, I am not sure how else to word it.

I also think Coop has an idea. Infnityhrt your idea is good, but if we can break it down into the areas/ sections of the birds that would help. Specially after it has been discussed about. I know when I come to a breed thread, I read it from the beginning so I get all of the information that it has to offer (can make for a long read sometimes). I think it would make more sense to new people to the breed/ thread if an area of the bird is discussed and then pictures that show the good, bad, and ugly of that area like your idea Infintyhrt. How does this sound to everyone?

ok so.....

someone raised the question to me recently about a white Sumatra

Of course my daughter being addicted to the Sumatra breed has now decided she needs some.

Any one know of any breeders?

I did read the posts on crossing white phoenix to black sumatras as a project to get the white feathers. Any thoughts on that? I was actually wondering about crossing with a white yokohama also??

I tried to explain to my DD that white Sumatra's are not APA recognized --- her response was if its a Sumatra and its out there She has to have it --- because its a SUMATRA!

Last edited:
Anyone here going to NE Bantam Club Spring Show in MA May 3rd?? Ill also be at Little Rhody on the 17th and in Maine on the 24th! I may have some chicks or hatching eggs available for my RI trip and/or ME if anyone is interested.

Good luck dsfrango, hope you win lots. I am done showing until maybe the fall.

Maybe you and Kinmera can meet up so she can get some eggs.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom