pipdzipdnreadytogo

Fuzzy Feather Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Silkied Cochins are a rare variety of Cochin bantam resulting from a random mutation giving them silkied or 'hookless' feathering, the type of feathering that looks like fur. They are pure Cochins, not mixes, and have none of the characteristic Silkie traits beyond feathering type, and no Silkie blood in their background. I am working to preserve this unusual variety of Cochins and will be selecting toward the standard for smooth-feathered Cochin bantams as I do.

As this is my first foray into breeding chickens toward a standard, I'd like to have a thread as a journal of sorts, and perhaps a place to ask advice from those experienced with Cochin bantams or just familiar with the standard itself as I work towards improvement of my birds. I do have a copy of the 2020 American Bantam Association standard to reference. As it is at the time of posing this, I have a total of 3 cocks, 4 cockerels, 7 hens, and 5 pullets that I'm working with. I will post their pictures below. I had planned to form three breeding groups out of those birds with the idea of keeping them in a rotational or clan breeding style of setup; the best males from each pen will rotate to the next pen over, while the best females will stay in the pen they hatched from. I'd like to be able to breed them for a long, long time without having to bring new blood in which is why I'd chosen this type of setup. I also intend to focus only on BBS for now, despite an unyielding urge to breed in a bunch of other varieties... But I really want to focus my efforts toward preserving the silkied variety of Cochins and improving what I have rather than losing focus trying to work on a bunch of projects with them.

Here are the birds I have to work with right now. They are grouped by age at the moment. I have some ideas of which birds I'd like to group together for breeding, but am open to suggestions from those experienced with this sort of thing, of course. Out of the 2022 birds, most are a little over 5 months old, but I also have a 7 month old pullet who was hatched out of the 2021 birds. Other than her, the rest, including all of the older birds, were hatched from eggs I bought from another farm. Oh, and some of the 2021 birds' pictures aren't super great to show their type and such, but they're all molting now and look awful, so that's the best I have of them at the moment unfortunately.

Editing, this page should have the most up-to-date groupings for my breeding pens on it and most likely will have more recent pictures for most of the birds as this thread ages, along with other info recorded there such as hatch dates and parentage of individuals hatched here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pipds-peeps.72248/page/silkied-cochin-bantams.95/

2020 birds:

These three are Black and may carry recessive white; a recessive white hen hatched along with them, but is a cull due to recurring prolapse issues she's had. The below two hens have not had the same issues.

Gus:

Gus.jpg

Myrtle:

Myrtle.jpg

Zinnia:

Zinnia.jpg

2021 birds:

Blacks:

-Pete:

Pete.jpg

-Jack:

Jack 7-29-22.jpg

-Juniper:

Juniper on log.jpg

-Bella:

Bella no text.jpg

-Coco:

Coco no text.jpg

Blues:

-Harley:

Harley.jpg

-Washburne:

Washburne.jpg

2022 birds:

Blacks:

-Dean:

Dean.jpg

-Trixie. She's the 7-month-old; her father is Pete and I'm reasonably confident her mother is Harley.

Trixie.jpg

-Boba:

Boba.jpg

Blues:

-Wyatt:

Wyatt.jpg

-Zeke:

Zeke.jpg

-Levi:

Levi.jpg

-Athena:

Athena.jpg

-Inara:

Inara.jpg

-Ottilie:

Ottilie.jpg

Last edited:
A few notes I have so far:

A few of my birds seem to have slightly slipped wings to my inexperienced eye. My standard doesn't seem to mention slipped wing at all in the Cochin section for me to know how bad that is for the breed... Is this something that can be worked with or something that should strictly be culled for?

The last pullet pictured has poor middle toe feathering, for which I initially had her down as a cull, but I was told that this is something that can be worked with on an otherwise solid bird. Just want to double-check the validity of that claim?

Most of the 2021 hens have lopped or bent combs. I do have the worst two jotted down as culls in my notes, but since I have so few hens to work with, I was going to keep one or two of them with better combs in the breeding group. Is this okay to do, or is it best to cull all who don't have nice, straight combs?

Beyond that, any thoughts or expertise on what I need to keep an eye out for down the line, what other traits are immediate culls versus things that can be worked with, any other thoughts or critiques, etc. are more than welcome. 🙂

A few of my birds seem to have slightly slipped wings to my inexperienced eye. My standard doesn't seem to mention slipped wing at all in the Cochin section for me to know how bad that is for the breed... Is this something that can be worked with or something that should strictly be culled for?

The last pullet pictured has poor middle toe feathering, for which I initially had her down as a cull, but I was told that this is something that can be worked with on an otherwise solid bird. Just want to double-check the validity of that claim?

Most of the 2021 hens have lopped or bent combs. I do have the worst two jotted down as culls in my notes, but since I have so few hens to work with, I was going to keep one or two of them with better combs in the breeding group. Is this okay to do, or is it best to cull all who don't have nice, straight combs?

Beyond that, any thoughts or expertise on what I need to keep an eye out for down the line, what other traits are immediate culls versus things that can be worked with, any other thoughts or critiques, etc. are more than welcome. 🙂
I have a question and please know this is simple curiosity and I have no Ill intent in asking I understand the importance of solid birds for a breeding program I am just very curious on this. Why do you cull the imperfect instead of rehoming to someone who is not breeding and just keeping hens for pets and eggs? Is it to keep them out of the breed to avoid the bad traits (for lack of a better word) from possibly being passed on? just a curiosity as I am learning the dos and don'ts of breeding thank you for your time Also your birds are beautiful!

Why do you cull the imperfect instead of re-homing to someone who is not breeding and just keeping hens for pets and eggs?
Culling will not always end in the destruction of the culled specimen. Re-homing is also part of culling.

In Short. The true meaning of culling in breeding projects is remove undesirable birds from the breeding project.

It's a common mistake, but as Nicalandia points out, culling does not always mean killing. To cull means simply to remove that animal from the breeding population. In the case of my birds, they are either rehomed or moved to my pet/layer flock when possible. If I simply can't find homes for my extras and just don't have the space to keep them, I may eat them, but the rest of my culls live out their lives to the fullest here or in someone else's flock. :)

Yeah, these guys are generally only good for soup as small as they are. I always wait as long as possible before I resort to that with them. I was just about to make the call to the processor for the last of this year's cull cockerels when someone messaged me to buy them last week.
forehead wipe whew.gif

Culling will not always end in the destruction of the culled specimen. Re-homing is also part of culling.

In Short. The true meaning of culling in breeding projects is remove undesirable birds from the breeding project.
Oh, thanks! I have learned something new today I appreciate that you took the time to answer my question.

Bumping this up with the hopes that more folks see and respond. 🙂 I also added the names of the individual birds to the first post as I realized I'll likely be referring to them by name a lot just out of habit.

Back
Top Bottom