Breeding Silver Laced to Black or White Cochins

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I’m getting some Silver Laced Cochins from McMurray hatchery in the spring, I’m assuming they are going to be far from standard.

I was wondering if it would be better to breed them to show line white or black Cochins to improve type,
which would preserve more of the lacing if any in the offspring?

I don't see a show line of Silver Laced Cochins from Cackle, just Silver Laced Wyandottes. That could just be me not looking hard enough, though!

White Cochins being recessive white means that they could be hiding just about any plumage genetics underneath that white exterior, some which might preserve lacing in the F1 generation and some which might not. Unfortunately, the chicken calculator assumes that it's a solid black bird underneath when you input white, so that doesn't really help in planning that out. Crossing to Black Cochins would result in little to no lacing showing up in the F1 generation, but at least you would know exactly what genes you're working against in that case and can plan accordingly. So I'm not honestly sure which would be better. 🤔

I don't see a show line of Silver Laced Cochins from Cackle, just Silver Laced Wyandottes. That could just be me not looking hard enough, though!

White Cochins being recessive white means that they could be hiding just about any plumage genetics underneath that white exterior, some which might preserve lacing in the F1 generation and some which might not. Unfortunately, the chicken calculator assumes that it's a solid black bird underneath when you input white, so that doesn't really help in planning that out. Crossing to Black Cochins would result in little to no lacing showing up in the F1 generation, but at least you would know exactly what genes you're working against in that case and can plan accordingly. So I'm not honestly sure which would be better. 🤔
Thanks! I think I will try both ways and see what the results are.
I don’t know much about color genetics but I think it would be a good project just to see what happens, honestly the lacing probably isn’t the best to begin with since they are from hatchery stock.

I also have some nice exhibition Silver Laced Wyandottes, maybe I could cross them down the line to improve lacing.

Thanks! I think I will try both ways and see what the results are.
I don’t know much about color genetics but I think it would be a good project just to see what happens, honestly the lacing probably isn’t the best to begin with since they are from hatchery stock.

I also have some nice exhibition Silver Laced Wyandottes, maybe I could cross them down the line to improve lacing.
Word to the wise: don’t be afraid if they have vulture hocks. Cochins have the vulture hock gene which allows for long and profuse leg feathering, but it is disguised by the soft and abundant feathering. If vulture hocks show up in your crosses, keep going, they will go away.

Back
Top Bottom