Columbian Bantam Cochin breeding?

pattijoiner

Chirping
Feb 20, 2021
North Georgia
I received this boy as a gift. I don’t know anything about the Columbian gene and there doesn’t appear to be many Columbian Bantam Cochins.
Should I try and find a Columbian girl? Or possibly breed him with the other Cochins I have? ( mottled, black, calico)
Not really sure where to go from here! Anyone know how the columbian gene works or thoughts on even taking on this breeding project 🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_4735.jpeg
    IMG_4735.jpeg
    831.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4732.jpeg
    IMG_4732.jpeg
    915.2 KB · Views: 3
He is Columbian but he has one silver and one gold gene so he is an impure color. It doesn't really matter who you breed him with since I don't think you plan on showing him or anything.

G
He is Columbian but he has one silver and one gold gene so he is an impure color. It doesn't really matter who you breed him with since I don't think you plan on showing him or anything.
Gotcha! How do I recognize the gold gene? Just the yellowish/gold coloring?

I received this boy as a gift. I don’t know anything about the Columbian gene and there doesn’t appear to be many Columbian Bantam Cochins.
Should I try and find a Columbian girl? Or possibly breed him with the other Cochins I have? ( mottled, black, calico)
Not really sure where to go from here! Anyone know how the columbian gene works or thoughts on even taking on this breeding project 🤷🏻‍♀️
If you breed him to the black or the mottled Cochin, you will probably get black chicks, that grow up to be mostly black but with some leakage of gold or silver.

If you breed him to the calico Cochin, I think you will get Columbian chicks (like him) and Buff Columbian chicks (replace the white with buff or gold). The chicks should be split fairly evenly between the two color options, with males and females both coming in both colors.

With both the mottled and the calico hens, all chicks will carry the mottling gene but not show it. That gene causes the white dots on the mottled Cochin, and turns Buff Columbian color into Mille Fleur or Calico color.

I do not know which hen(s) you should breed him to, or even whether you should breed him at all. I'm just making a prediction about what you will get if you do, so you can have more information to make your own decision.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom