Standard bred Sumatras

Thank you I payed a lot for a half dozen eggs and I didn't think this bird was a Sumatra but I'm only 15 and lots of my stuff is limited and the chicken is like 4 months old or 5 but now I'm just mad

Not every seller on ebay is going to cheat you but I too learned
my lesson and I do not buy from ebay. Not every seller of even
sumatras is going to be completely honest about their birds but
many will. The best thing you can do is research about the breed
you are wanting, ask others about the seller you are considering
and be careful. Even with that shipped eggs can suffer from handling
in shipping. Buying local or at least within driving distance is the
best route. We picked up eggs in Oklahoma on our way home from
a trip to California and babied them all the way home two days later.

All ears hear
lau.gif
I'll mark this thread also.
Scott

I also forgot to mention that the beak has a big part of the neck too. If a bird doesn't have the short, stout, well curved beak but does have a clean neck, it'll look crow headed. It is all about balance. We have some hens running around out there with a full throat that is far from dewlap.

Ah hello again to everyone joining this thread.
frow.gif

Ramirezframing I honestly do not think I have one that has my ideal throat on a male sumatra, because I cant look past all the other things in that area that I am still working on. The bantams males, and I hate to say the word, but in my opinion lose the gracefulness and distinct look of that of their standard counterpart. Don't get me wrong though, I have seen some nice bantams out there, just not mine.

I will try and take the camera out with me one of these days and see what I got. Everyone is beginning to molt.

One more thing I would like to add, and I wanted to ask this before. Is there anyone out there trying to work on getting an actual pea comb on their birds? I mean really the actual pea comb and not just a small comb with bumps and lines and twists and turns that kind of could pass for a ugly pea comb. I am just curious.

Last edited:
Ah hello again to everyone joining this thread.
frow.gif

One more thing I would like to add, and I wanted to ask this before. Is there anyone out there trying to work on getting an actual pea comb on their birds? I mean really the actual pea comb and not just a small comb with bumps and lines and twists and turns that kind of could pass for a ugly pea comb. I am just curious.
Nice to see you still around!

This is one of the things that gets me but not madre. We had some birds from McMurray last year that had actual 3 ridged pea combs but they had single spurs so they had to go. I have gotten into arguments with people about this, seems like a majority of breeders always basically say "Well they all have the weird combs so they aren't meant to have a normal pea comb" kind of thing. I say that since we are supposed to bred to the standard, that people start breeding for the pea comb as the standard says. If they were meant to have the weird blob comb, the standard would say so.

Back
Top Bottom