Standard bred Sumatras

I also forgot to mention that the beak has a big part of the neck too. If a bird doesn't have the short, stout, well curved beak but does have a clean neck, it'll look crow headed. It is all about balance. We have some hens running around out there with a full throat that is far from dewlap.

Ah hello again to everyone joining this thread.
frow.gif

Ramirezframing I honestly do not think I have one that has my ideal throat on a male sumatra, because I cant look past all the other things in that area that I am still working on. The bantams males, and I hate to say the word, but in my opinion lose the gracefulness and distinct look of that of their standard counterpart. Don't get me wrong though, I have seen some nice bantams out there, just not mine.

I will try and take the camera out with me one of these days and see what I got. Everyone is beginning to molt.

One more thing I would like to add, and I wanted to ask this before. Is there anyone out there trying to work on getting an actual pea comb on their birds? I mean really the actual pea comb and not just a small comb with bumps and lines and twists and turns that kind of could pass for a ugly pea comb. I am just curious.

Last edited:
Ah hello again to everyone joining this thread.
frow.gif

One more thing I would like to add, and I wanted to ask this before. Is there anyone out there trying to work on getting an actual pea comb on their birds? I mean really the actual pea comb and not just a small comb with bumps and lines and twists and turns that kind of could pass for a ugly pea comb. I am just curious.
Nice to see you still around!

This is one of the things that gets me but not madre. We had some birds from McMurray last year that had actual 3 ridged pea combs but they had single spurs so they had to go. I have gotten into arguments with people about this, seems like a majority of breeders always basically say "Well they all have the weird combs so they aren't meant to have a normal pea comb" kind of thing. I say that since we are supposed to bred to the standard, that people start breeding for the pea comb as the standard says. If they were meant to have the weird blob comb, the standard would say so.

Thought I would give it another chance if you know what I mean
smile.png

I am glad I am not the only one it bothers. I cull so many birds based off of comb alone its not funny. I see so many foreign combs on sumatras than any other breed. I just was wondering if anyone else is really putting the emphasis on that area too. Thanks

I guess I would bring it up because it seems like sumatras get away with foreign combs at shows. It is a DQ though. It is strictly enforced on all other breeds. I have even seen silkies disqualified for non walnut comb, never a Sumatra for a non pea comb. I find it interesting and well never mind lol.

I guess I would bring it up because it seems like sumatras get away with foreign combs at shows. It is a DQ though. It is strictly enforced on all other breeds. I have even seen silkies disqualified for non walnut comb, never a Sumatra for a non pea comb. I find it interesting and well never mind lol.
It seems that Sumatras can get away with lots of DQs at shows....not just
the comb.....but we already beat that horse so I won't go there.
lol.png

P S I love we are finally getting to discuss more.

Last edited:
I have seen this also in the sumatra combs. On most my females, I have to look VERY close to see what they have as they are so small. I am not happy with my daughter's roosters comb (has a slight bend to it) but we will see what comes of her pair and cull out any that come up with a bend if any do (still waiting to see how the chicks grow out). They rest of her rooster is pretty darn good, same with the hen. It should prove to be a good lesson on culling for her, as it has been for my son on his lakenvelders. If I can ever remember to borrow my mom's camera, I'll get pictures one day.

I also forgot to mention that the beak has a big part of the neck too. If a bird doesn't have the short, stout, well curved beak but does have a clean neck, it'll look crow headed. It is all about balance. We have some hens running around out there with a full throat that is far from dewlap.
I have a hen that looks crow headed from the side, and she does have a longer beak (don't know where that came from as her mom has one of the shortest beaks out of all of my sumatras). But when you look at her head from the top, it does have some width to it (unfortunately not as wide as her mom's head). Debating if I want to breed her or not, as the rest of her isn't that bad (probably just end up in the layer section once all is said and done).

I like to look at an area as a whole to see how it looks, but I also like to look at it in sections to see how each section fits in. I think the birds with the excessive throat skin seem to have a smaller head and a longer beak once you remove part of the throat skin. Almost like breeding a short cut in to hide other faults. But I might be thinking wrong on that?

I don't know about a short cut for hiding faults, because if the bird is shown in a competitive show next to quality birds, it will have a hard time. As far as using it in a breeding program, well hopefully one wouldn't have to use that bird. Although I don't think you are wrong to think that at all. I can see your point. Its really hard to compare birds from pictures. That is why I can not recommend enough that people go to a show, even if it is to just look. Great subject by the way.

Now you got me staring at every Sumatra's throat.
lol.png
Can't say I ever did that before.

I don't know about a short cut for hiding faults, because if the bird is shown in a competitive show next to quality birds, it will have a hard time. As far as using it in a breeding program, well hopefully one wouldn't have to use that bird. Although I don't think you are wrong to think that at all. I can see your point. Its really hard to compare birds from pictures. That is why I can not recommend enough that people go to a show, even if it is to just look. Great subject by the way.

Now you got me staring at every Sumatra's throat.
lol.png
Can't say I ever did that before
And you had me out at the coop yesterday assessing every comb on all the sumatras
......and some other birds. I never thought that much about the combs not being a true
pea comb but more of an almost pea comb.

My birds do not have a large dewlap but what they do have does have a nice curve.
I am trying to improve what I have but a long way from any good enough to show.
Keep that information coming.....I'm loving it.

Back
Top Bottom