Standard Cochin Rooster...Never Crowed?

cheeps

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Rockwell, NC
I have a splash standard cochin rooster named Harvey, he turned 1 year old yesterday. He's huge, and has a deep voice when he clucks and carries on with the hens. However he has never crowed. We've seen him try to crow, but no sound comes out. We have four other roosters right now and all of our neighbors have roosters, so he knows what he's supposed to do! Could it be that I have the perfect non-crowing rooster? All of my other roo's started crowing when they were half his age.

I have a 1 year old standard blue cochin rooster and had never heard nor seen him crow until last week. He let out a few belts and then that was it. Haven't heard from him since. We have three other roosters (big Langshans) who crow all the time. The cochin does seem to be the low roo on the totem pole, but he just sort of keeps to himself. He's the nicest, calmest chicken; we never have any problems with him. I don't know if he's just quiet or if he's just trying to avoid getting into a war with the other roos. The one time he did crow, one of the other roos came running over and started chasing him. So, there's some tension there that maybe he's just trying to avoid?

Roosters will crow when they get darn good and ready to. Pullets will lay when they are ready to also. Same thing goes for a hen going broody.
My rooster is having a crowing contest with a rooster down the hill this morning. Down the hill is a commercial chicken house and I think my neighbor must have ended up with a broiler rooster and he's a very early crower. I'm sure she's just thrilled about that.

Back
Top Bottom