Can Rooster get asthma?

Lancealot1

Hatching
Feb 3, 2024
I have a 6 year old rooster that seems to be breathing heavier than normal. His beak is closed, is physically healthy, happy, eating, drinking, and generally doing what he's always done. His crow seems a little off, but it never was a perfect "crow". He makes a funny sound when resting in the coop, not always, just every once in a while. He is in the coop with another rooster (gets along well) and 6 hens, all the same age. The coop is dry with no drafts. They have access to an enclosed area during the day when it's not below 20 degrees. We are in Northeastern Ohio, and our winter this year has been anything but normal, with temperatures and general weather going up and down from day to day. I'm probably worried about nothing here, but these are our pets, and I like to catch things before they get bad. None of our chickens have ever been sick, so not knowing if this should be a concern or not. Also, there is heated water available at all times. Any thoughts?

Regardless of some posts on here, 6 years old is definitely an older bird. As long as he is moving around, eating, he is doing fine. I agree with RiDaGeckoGuy - I think it IS old age, and nothing lives forever, there really is nothing you can do for that - except give him a good life, and not a stressful ending.

Thank you! I do know 6 is old for chickens, but I have to tell you though, we've had a rooster live for 10 years! He LOOKED like an old rooster. So sad when he died. But he did live a good life! I guess I just expect them to live forever! He is a Lavender Orpington.
IMG_0974.jpeg

Thank you! I do know 6 is old for chickens, but I have to tell you though, we've had a rooster live for 10 years! He LOOKED like an old rooster. So sad when he died. But he did live a good life! I guess I just expect them to live forever! He is a Lavender Orpington.View attachment 3739919
It might just be the angle but it looks like he has feather feet which would make him not an Orpington

Back
Top Bottom