Standard Cornish feathering genetics

Fordfunnyfarm

Chirping
Mar 21, 2021
Utah
I am wondering if anyone knows the genetics behind standard Cornish feathering colors. I’m assuming that the dark is dominant. I have a flock of dark, red laced and white. Just wanting to understand there genetics and with crossing colors what do you get?

They are totally separate colors. Crossing them will give you a jumble where none might look like the parents' coloring. I believe white would be more dominant than dark or red laced. It might be fun to experiment with them, but personally I think it's better to stick with the original colors if you are planning on breeding and selling chicks.

They are totally separate colors. Crossing them will give you a jumble where none might look like the parents' coloring. I believe white would be more dominant than dark or red laced. It might be fun to experiment with them, but personally I think it's better to stick with the original colors if you are planning on breeding and selling chicks.
I do plan to keep a few pens of each color. But I thought it might be fun to play around and see what colors and mixes I could get. :)

I am wondering if anyone knows the genetics behind standard Cornish feathering colors. I’m assuming that the dark is dominant. I have a flock of dark, red laced and white. Just wanting to understand there genetics and with crossing colors what do you get?

I just noticed this, but I can answer part of it.
Dark Cornish have black double lacing on a red background.
White Laced Red Cornish have white single lacing on a red background.

If you cross those two, you will get white lacing on a red background, because the gene that turns black into white is dominant, so it's the one you'll see in the chicks.

Single lacing and double lacing share quite a few genes, so you'll get some kind of lacing on the chicks. It may not be neatly single or double, but something in between.

I don't know the genetics of solid white Cornish, to be able to predict accurately what you'll get if you cross to it, but you've got a good chance of the chicks having at least some white on them.

I don't know the genetics of solid white Cornish, to be able to predict accurately what you'll get if you cross to it, but you've got a good chance of the chicks having at least some white on them.
Dominant white in a black background.

Back
Top Bottom