standard eggs under a bantam?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dave_Cash69, Mar 8, 2009.

1. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    can you put standard eggs under a broody bantam if theyre fertile?
    will the adopt them, or what?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't see why not. Many gamebird farmers use Silkies as natural incubators, so I wouldn't see why it would be any different. You would probably have more luck with them adopting the eggs if you place them under the hen at night.

3. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    Alright, thank you once again!

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can with out a problem. Just do not put alot under her.

5. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I just had a bantam frizzle cochin hatch a RIR and an EE. Still 6 more eggs to go, so hopefully we get more. Only 2 of those left are frizzle eggs.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My serama is sitting on 7 eggs - one of them an EE and my banty frizzle cochin has 9 eggs under her - one is a marans egg.

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Our OEGB Blackie hatched out 6 chicks last year. She raised 5 large Barred Rocks just fine. They were bigger than she was by the time they were 8 weeks old.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My first silkie sat on four standards and three banty eggs. Three standard and one banty chick hatched. The other three eggs had not developed at all. I think they were not fertile to start with.
    Silkie #2 sat on 7 eggs as well, all standard size. Four hatched out. One hadn't developed at all. Two had partially developed. She sat back in January when the temps were really low AND had the four babies from the previous hatch joining her at night in the nest box, so I'm sure the eggs were not adequately covered. It was often crammed in there. [​IMG]

Both mamas have done well with standard babies. I did notice the first hen tired of motherhood with the standard boys when they were almost her size. She allowed the banty around for a lot longer. Dunno what that means, unless size is how chickens determine maturity.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have a small Banty Cochin Frizzle...sittin on a turkey egg! You should see her trying to balance on top of that thing. She also has 3 of her own under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by