Standard Old English Games

chicken024.jpg
chicken013.jpg

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Nice looking fowl you got there! Check out the thread titled show off your games, if you haven't already. Hundreds of pages of games.

Quote:
4444_crele_h1resized.jpg

4444_crele_c1resized.jpg

This is a couple of pictures of my Large Old English Games from last year. These are not American games or pit games but exhibition type games.

I have raised and shown Large OE since the early 80's. While they are not common they are out there and can be had if you know where to look. Most large game breeders are in the Northeast, and at one time they were a dominate presence in the Show Rooms there, but like a lot of things in the exhibition poultry world they have died off when the old masters died.

I have had BB Red, Red Pyle and now specialize in Crele. I started making them about five years ago and still have a few bugs to work out in the color of the males but I am almost there.

Sam Brush has Blacks, Lemon Blues and I believe Birchen. While at the Poultry Congress last year I saw about 75 Large OE in about 10 varieties with Blue Reds looking the best.

I believe that Clifford Douglas still may sell eggs, a lot of the old breeders did sell eggs to help get the breed out there. Rich Baker had the best Large OE but has retired from showing but still may have a few birds to get eggs from.

Like the fighting type large American games, you will not find a better breed to work with. Lay good, excellent hatches, hardy and excellent foragers

Bob

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4444_crele_h1resized.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4444_crele_c1resized.jpg

This is a couple of pictures of my Large Old English Games from last year. These are not American games or pit games but exhibition type games.

I have raised and shown Large OE since the early 80's. While they are not common they are out there and can be had if you know where to look. Most large game breeders are in the Northeast, and at one time they were a dominate presence in the Show Rooms there, but like a lot of things in the exhibition poultry world they have died off when the old masters died.

I have had BB Red, Red Pyle and now specialize in Crele. I started making them about five years ago and still have a few bugs to work out in the color of the males but I am almost there.

Sam Brush has Blacks, Lemon Blues and I believe Birchen. While at the Poultry Congress last year I saw about 75 Large OE in about 10 varieties with Blue Reds looking the best.

I believe that Clifford Douglas still may sell eggs, a lot of the old breeders did sell eggs to help get the breed out there. Rich Baker had the best Large OE but has retired from showing but still may have a few birds to get eggs from.

Like the fighting type large American games, you will not find a better breed to work with. Lay good, excellent hatches, hardy and excellent foragers

Bob

Hi,
Thank you very much for showing those great pictures. Are you or do you know anybody that is going to the Ohio National show? Are these birds aggressive towards each other as AG are?

Thank you very much
OSUman

Last edited:
Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4444_crele_h1resized.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4444_crele_c1resized.jpg

Bob

Those are the nicest Creles I've ever seen. Especially like the female.
Cliff still has lots of games. I got a Brown Red cock from him this spring.
I think Sam has Brown Reds also.
Gotta love "real chickens".

Thanks
It is the Females that win for me right now and normally I would go for a female line, but what is the use of raising Crele OE if you can't show the males sometimes.
I believe this winter I will have some good cockerels ( stags) to show.
Also, one of the things I like about the Large OE males is that you don't loose the tail as they get older like the bantams, in someways they get better.

Bob

Do you guys think that there will be OEG for sale at the Ohio National? I am interested in getting some and thats one of the shows im going to this fall.

Thanks

I have a pair of BB Red Bantams(brothers) that need dubbed for show purposes. We showed his dad this summer and the judge indicated that he could not win if he was not dubbed. We don't want to dub him but are willing to do his sons, who are about 6 months old. I have never done this and am a little nervous. I found the instructions on a website, associated with this site, but am looking for advice. I have read that doing it close to a full moon and in cool weather is best. Any advice would be appreciated.

BB Red Bantams are our absolute favorite. While my son would love to have a standard size, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I can have several bantams roosters together with no problem and they are amazing and so handsome.

i believe the show standard for the bantams is to leave a little on the top, if you look at their comb, there is a definite line down the length of the comb on the sides. that is the line to follow, it should leave like a 1/4" of comb on top. leave the comb till last.

i trim the ear lobes first, pinch the skin, pull slightly away from skull and cut. you will see a space of raw meat, thats ok. it will heal and it will be nice and tight when heal up.

then i pull the wattles down and cut them. to mee these are the hardest. cause you dont want to get in to the lobe cuts, but its hard not too. but try not to. then you need to snip real close to the lower beak, cause when cutting wattles there is always a lil snip of skin left that really looks like crap after its heal up. looks like a hatchet job if not done right.

then the comb, just brace your self and cut the entire length off in one fell swoop. you may have to take it off in a couple of cuts, but thats ok. then do a once over, make sure you got everything. cause if you missed any lil tiny piece it will really show after all healed up.

there is alot of blood. it helps to have someone else hold while you cut and manipulate his head to where you need it. thats why i leave comb till last, gives you something to hold while snipping lobes and wattles.

if you have no one to hold roll the ol boy up in a towel like a burrito. real tight.

he will look like hes fainting when cutting, but he will recover, dont be afraid to really do a good job. ive trimmed hundreds and hundreds of birds in my life, and never known one to die from trimming.

Back
Top Bottom