Standard silkies?

I didn't know there was such a thing either. However, I picked up some White Silkies from Tractor Supply just because there was only 9 left and they were destined for the trash can at closing in about 20 minutes. They were pitiful looking. Well, my wife and I's Christian hearts just couldn't let that happen to them so we bought all 9 even though we knew we may loose 'em. Next couple of days we lost 3 and we saved 6. As of July 1st 2017 they are 12 weeks old. 1 is Bantam size, the other 5 are larger then my Black Sex links that are 16 weeks old and they are tough as nails. So much for being docile. When I go in the coop 2 attack me and try to chomp on me like I'm corn on the cob. I think they're great though. Definitely some of my favorites. Here's a pic of 'em with a Black Sex link who is 4 weeks older. They're not Bantam size.
IMG_3252.JPG

Here are a couple of my standard silkies in comparison to a bantam silkie.
0703191451.jpg
0703191454.jpg

They're all around 13-14 weeks old in these pictures.

well, I don't know where they got them, but a local farmer I know has both sizes. The larger Silkies are quite big...he says the roo is 4 Lbs and stands dramatically taller than the little guys. I will investigate and return

I didn't know there was such a thing either. However, I picked up some White Silkies from Tractor Supply just because there was only 9 left and they were destined for the trash can at closing in about 20 minutes. They were pitiful looking. Well, my wife and I's Christian hearts just couldn't let that happen to them so we bought all 9 even though we knew we may loose 'em. Next couple of days we lost 3 and we saved 6. As of July 1st 2017 they are 12 weeks old. 1 is Bantam size, the other 5 are larger then my Black Sex links that are 16 weeks old and they are tough as nails. So much for being docile. When I go in the coop 2 attack me and try to chomp on me like I'm corn on the cob. I think they're great though. Definitely some of my favorites. Here's a pic of 'em with a Black Sex link who is 4 weeks older. They're not Bantam size.
View attachment 1059919
Trash can?!! You mean to tell me Tractor Supply were going to through living creatures into the trash? until they died? I think that would have pissed the entire world off. Where was this store located? Completely unacceptable and illegal. Even though they are considered livestock, there are still cruelty laws that apply...just like farmers who don't feed their horses. Incredible.

As far as I know the only 'standard' Silkie that in available in the US is the broiler Silkie. Purely Poultry sells them. During the mad Covid chicken dash last year I purchased some Silkies that were clearly a mix between standard and bantam (or else were broiler and just weren't labelled as such), as some were crested, some had little or no crests, some were small, and some were much larger from here. <---a link

They were all healthy and everybody made it to adulthood, but I don't know if I can really recommend buying from them as there were a lot of toe deformities. I know that can be kind of common with Silkies, but this was like 6-7 toes on some birds, and one had the outward turning toe issue. They claim that they'd only be 1lb dressed but the two cockerels I processed were in excess of 3lbs (hence why I think they were broiler Silkies).

Back
Top Bottom