Standardbred Leghorn Thread

This is what the judges use at the shows for the standard. It's what I use too. The bookmark is for the Leghorns.
IMG_20160320_140756.jpg

It's funny you say that, lol. I don't sell eggs so I was about to give a few of my cull friends to a hen when my mom had a fit. The cull hens are the only ones making eggs we can actually eat since everything else gets hatched!

My biggest problem is that I have a ton of extra males in my "general population" pen and it would cause chaos to add just two or three cull hens in there, not to mention it would be cruel to the girls! I could put them in the Legbar pen because I'd be able to tell their eggs apart, but I already have only one male to 8 females and don't want to risk reduced fertilization. I guess maybe they can go in with those ugly little Columbian Rock bantams I've got out there, lol.
I do have coops and pens I put the bachelors in. As long as there is no females in the mix it works out. I do sell the males. I have a couple of buyers that will usually take them all. I only keep the ones I'm going to use for breeding and usually a backup male for each of my breeds. I don't process the males anymore but I'm an old lady with my old man and we have a butcher down the road. If I want a chicken I go and get one from him. Since I can sell the males, it helps with the feed costs. I go through around a half ton of feed a month, so selling the males helps to offset the feed costs. Now I only hatch once a year in the spring, but I hatch out a few hundred chicks knowing that around half will be males. Years ago I started a farm swap at our farm. DH was worried about what if someone was to get hurt. A friend also had one at his place and someone did get hurt. No one wants to issue event insurance at a residence (farm). I went to our local TSC and asked if we could set up in an area of their parking lot that is hardly used and they said we could try. It was a success and we have went from once a month to biweekly. We have been having the swap there now for well over 10 years so it is well known in our area. I take the birds I want to sell to the swap. There are several buyers that come.
Coronavirus.jpg

Did you have any noticeable faults with them? I have 3 gals coming in early may from the same place. Goal is to get something at least 4H show worthy

Here is one of my Silver roosters. The wing feathers are trimmed to avoid them flying over their fenced areas.
I'll try to get the other one later.
Shoot away with your observations.
I'm a big boy.

@The Moonshiner
20210116_122745.jpg

This is what the judges use at the shows for the standard. It's what I use too. The bookmark is for the Leghorns.
View attachment 2491701

Yep, got mine last year. Didn't occur to me to look on eBay for a used one! That's smart. The standards committee is working on some big changes for the next edition but I don't know when that's coming out. Probably won't spring for it since I just bought a new one, but the club releases a list of all the changes so you can print it off and keep it with the book if you need it.

I already have to keep the Legbar standard in there like that since they're not approved yet.

Nope.
Not that I know of.
From Murray McMurray.
Large fowl.
I know I know hatchery stock.

View attachment 2491982

A rookie has to start somewhere.

We all do, I'm starting from scratch (hatchery stock) on my Houdans right now. My biggest complaint about them, too, is how small they are, but it still surprises me just how tiny most hatchery stock is compared to standardbred birds!

What's your plan to improve them?

Back
Top Bottom