Standardbred Leghorn Thread

Pics
It seems from what I'm reading,and I may be wrong but,and pardon my ignorance, sounds like complying to the SOP in some cases is equivalent to shooting at a moving target.
Longer backs this year,shorter backs next year...this is trending,that is trending...

20210117_103658(1).jpg
20210116_163555(1).jpg

So am I understanding that if one chooses to follow the Show circuit one will at times be forced to clear out pens just to make room for something else that is trending at a particular time?
Am I correct?

It seems from what I'm reading,and I may be wrong but,and pardon my ignorance, sounds like complying to the SOP in some cases is equivalent to shooting at a moving target.
Longer backs this year,shorter backs next year...this is trending,that is trending...

View attachment 2492999View attachment 2493000

No, not really. Longer backs are consistently "in". Always. Longer backs and deeper bodies are better-producing birds, that's why judges and breeders favor them. But standards are all open to interpretation. Breed to your interpretation and then show to enough judges to get their feedback. If you're getting consistent feedback that shows they interpret the standard differently, you can choose to adjust accordingly or not. Up to you.

I have shown mostly my RC RIR's, SC RIR's and RC RIW's. I started showing my Leghorns 3/4 years ago. Tail angle is one of the things the judges seem to be concerned with. I saw a RC RIR at a show and he got Best of Breed. I was surprised. His comb didn't look right to me It was pretty bulby not like my birds, but I guess most judges don't take off much for the comb.

I had a judge one time borrow my copy of the SOP at a show because he had forgotten to bring his and he saw I had one. It how they read it and interpret the standards. Some friends of mine are into Silkies. One friend took a Silkie to a show for her granddaughter. She picked out one of her heavier hens and her granddaughter won the youths.

Most people that are serious about showing learn which judges like their critters and will "follow" that judge around. I appreciate more diverse opinions, but if you find a judge that likes the same things you like it is particularly helpful in helping you evaluate your progress and finetune your animals when comparing multiple ones from the same line.

I specifically say "animals" here as opposed to just birds or chickens, because it's pretty universal in showing livestock of all sorts. I have rabbit friends that will drive past a closer show to one six hours further away because they prefer that judge, for example.

After awhile you do get to know the judges pretty much. I have asked some before to give me some feedback on my birds.
This hen was a champion. Not a Leghorn. SC RIR. She is on champion row waiting to get her picture taken. Of course she had to turn her head when I snapped this picture.
IMG_3456Rev.JPG

Most people that are serious about showing learn which judges like their critters and will "follow" that judge around. I appreciate more diverse opinions, but if you find a judge that likes the same things you like it is particularly helpful in helping you evaluate your progress and finetune your animals when comparing multiple ones from the same line.

I specifically say "animals" here as opposed to just birds or chickens, because it's pretty universal in showing livestock of all sorts. I have rabbit friends that will drive past a closer show to one six hours further away because they prefer that judge, for example.
Politics

Sometimes, mostly it's just finding folks that interpret the standard the same way you do.
With all due respect I know the game very well...Not chickens, but Politics in competition. My experience with for example,the karate tournaments.I have two boys that competed since they were five years old...After a few years one decided to do something else and the other one decided to go all the way through In sparring and kata.In the beginning it was clear that he was the best in his division but there was always a few Darlings of the of the league the ones that were affiliated with a lot of the judges...heck even one Sensei would buy lunch for the judges that were always at the tournaments...many times comments from the spectators and other parents were that we got robbed. After a while I said to tell my son " you know what? Be the best that you can be and eventually they won't be able to ignore your scores" he started competing for himself for his own personal records and eventually all the posers couldn't compete with him because he just became so good... when he started to compete for himself everything changed. Long story short I think when I reach what I want in my chicken endeavor s, I'm not going to bother to show them I'm not going to be chasing other people's opinions.
I think the chicken show thing is great but I don't think it's for me.Don't get me wrong, I'm that showing is a chance to meet other breeders,to network, obtain other lines and such,but the politics I think are a put off for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom