Standardbred Leghorn Thread

Oh yeah, the SOP book that I thought about getting but is waaay overbudget.
I thought that in america, you didn't want the pointy tail? but someone on here said that the pointy tail is good?

The ideal in the US is generally about 7 feathers viewed from the side on a hen or pullet. (But, if the frame of the bird carried more or less in a balanced fashion, that's fine.) So, yeah... not the pointy tail. Beyond that, you want the bird to be nice and wide so that viewed from behind they have a nice "tent". Basically no part of the tail on a hen or pullet should really remind you of "pointy".

I posted a photo of an Isabella hen a little ways back that has that seven-feather spread.

This is a common distinction between hatchery and standardbred birds that I've noted. My hatchery birds generally only have maybe 3 or 4 feathers visible when viewed from the side.

I believe the Italianer-type (the European Leghorn) overseas has a fairly different standard than ours. I haven't read their standard, specifically, but I base this on what I see coming across the pond as class winning birds and also in conversations we've had in Legbars about how the type should be Leghorn, but EUROPEAN LEGHORN over American Leghorn.

Also, one of my primary varieties is Isabella. They are not an accepted variety, but I am breeding them to the light brown standard (taking into account the lavender dilution) and will be exhibiting them at some point in the Any Other Variety class.

All varieties, accepted or not, are welcome here if the goal is to breed to the standard.

Also, one of my primary varieties is Isabella. They are not an accepted variety, but I am breeding them to the light brown standard (taking into account the lavender dilution) and will be exhibiting them at some point in the Any Other Variety class.

All varieties, accepted or not, are welcome here if the goal is to breed to the standard.
What is this difference between light brown and regular brown?

What is this difference between light brown and regular brown?

Brown Leghorns in the US are split into Light Brown and Dark Brown.

This came originally from double mating favoring hens (for light brown) and cocks (for dark brown.). They are both wild type gold duckwing, the Dark Brown has an additional Mahogany modifier that gives them the deep, sometimes almost black, brown/red color.

Dark Browns:

(Internet finds, the hen is from Bud Blankenship, though)

ca-dark-brown-leghorn-bantams-21765769.jpg

images-1.jpg

Light browns:

(my birds, Bud Blankenship breeding)

139682142_161610505735776_3390900806197051491_n.jpg

118518486_692894107976868_3212745050848624562_n.jpg

Brown Leghorns in the US are split into Light Brown and Dark Brown.

This came originally from double mating favoring hens (for light brown) and cocks (for dark brown.). They are both wild type gold duckwing, the Dark Brown has an additional Mahogany modifier that gives them the deep, sometimes almost black, brown/red color.

Dark Browns:

(Internet finds, the hen is from Bud Blankenship, though)

View attachment 2493819
View attachment 2493820

Light browns:

(my birds, Bud Blankenship breeding)

View attachment 2493829
View attachment 2493826
I am in LOVE with that dark brown coloring.

Light browns are prettier imo. The darks just look brown to me. No patterns or anything

I'm a bit torn over it. I really do loooooove the rich jewel tones on my dark male but I also love the kaleidoscope of color on the light males, and I definitely think the light females are much prettier.

If I could check the feather quality issues, Isabella would by favorite. I love the contrast between the pastel lavenders and peach and honey colors with the bright red combs and wattles.

I guess I like them all for their own reasons, LOL.

I'm a bit torn over it. I really do loooooove the rich jewel tones on my dark male but I also love the kaleidoscope of color on the light males, and I definitely think the light females are much prettier.

If I could check the feather quality issues, Isabella would by favorite. I love the contrast between the pastel lavenders and peach and honey colors with the bright red combs and wattles.

I guess I like them all for their own reasons, LOL.
I like the light brown males much better than the dark brown males. The red/orange on that turquoisey black.....gorgeous.
I love the rich dark color on the dark female.
I don't think I've ever seen an isabella with a real yellow color- I've seen them with the kind of washed out yellow. I'm sure I'd like them better with deeper colors.

I like the light brown males much better than the dark brown males. The red/orange on that turquoisey black.....gorgeous.
I love the rich dark color on the dark female.
I don't think I've ever seen an isabella with a real yellow color- I've seen them with the kind of washed out yellow. I'm sure I'd like them better with deeper colors.
Well they're supposed to be lighter, not super yellow

Back
Top Bottom