Standardbred Leghorn Thread

The lavender dilution turns gold/red colors to various shades of... well, straw. Part of my experimentation with the dark brown male over Isabella females this season is to see how the mahogany modifier treats the gold tones under lavender dilution.

At current, this is my best Isabella male, and he's awful. (Though not generally as hunched up and miserable-looking as this.) The females look, dare I say, normal. But they're full sisters to this bloke so I know they're carrying all kind of nasty feather quality issues.

139402162_420744106025649_3761677822275960701_n.jpg

Ah, here. I'll repost a female just to have them in the same spot.

138766270_2939355782950375_9197626055238941400_n.jpg

There are type and color issues with my Isabellas. The biggest problem is feather quality after you're a few generations deep breeding lavender to lavender. (These are at least 3rd generation straight lavender without outcrossing to brown, possibly more than that but I don't know the line's history beyond there.)

I'm hoping the mahogany modifiers from the dark male will bring more peach tones into the next generation over the yellow-straw coloration.

The lavender dilution turns gold/red colors to various shades of... well, straw. Part of my experimentation with the dark brown male over Isabella females this season is to see how the mahogany modifier treats the gold tones under lavender dilution.

At current, this is my best Isabella male, and he's awful. (Though not generally as hunched up and miserable-looking as this.) The females look, dare I say, normal. But they're full sisters to this bloke so I know they're carrying all kind of nasty feather quality issues.

View attachment 2493839

Ah, here. I'll repost a female just to have them in the same spot.

View attachment 2493841

There are type and color issues with my Isabellas. The biggest problem is feather quality after you're a few generations deep breeding lavender to lavender. (These are at least 3rd generation straight lavender without outcrossing to brown, possibly more than that but I don't know the line's history beyond there.)

I'm hoping the mahogany modifiers from the dark male will bring more peach tones into the next generation over the yellow-straw coloration.
Is this the one with the tail you liked?

Is this the one with the tail you liked?

The female, yes. The male, NO! hahahaha

And hers isn't in perfect condition. She carries the feather defect of fray, but also all the feathers just aren't in fully from molt, but you can count the seven primary tail feathers, I believe, and the thing I read earlier that said that gives just about a perfectly balanced fan seems to be right on to my eye. I do find the shape and angle of her tail fairly spot on according to my interpretation of the standard.

Interestingly, though it's a bit hard to count them individually due to the color, I believe the dark brown hen I posted above has at least 8 primary tail feathers as viewed from the side and it did strike me as being a little much. The light brown pullet I posted below her was only showing 5 or 6, as I recall, but has since had a nice full fan come in.

Last edited:
The female, yes. The male, NO! hahahaha

And hers isn't in perfect condition. She carries the feather defect of fray, but also all the feathers just aren't in fully from molt, but you can count the seven primary tail feathers, I believe, and the thing I read earlier that said that gives just about a perfectly balanced fan seems to be right on to my eye. I do find the shape and angle of her tail fairly spot on according to my interpretation of the standard.

Interestingly, though it's a bit hard to count them individually due to the color, I believe the dark brown hen I posted above has at least 8 primary tail feathers as viewed from the side and it did strike me as being a little much. The light brown pullet I posted below her was only showing 5 or 6, as I recall, but has since had a nice full fan come in.
The male's tail does look a bit.....interesting lol
It looks pretty balanced to me! I can't quite look at the angle because of the angle of the photo, but I think I see what I mean. On the dark brown I saw 9 or 10 :oops: I agree that it loos to be a litttttle much, but I like it.
Where are combs supposed to be? Giant and floppy? Orrrrr less giant and less floppy? Or giant but not floppy?

Back
Top Bottom