Standing in the rain, just standing in the rain...

Apache12

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
So I’m in Phoenix and we are getting our first meaningful rain in my chickens young 9 month life. We’ve had brief showers but this is a good long soaking. Thankful. Anyway my coop is under an orange tree ( some will remember my roof rat post) but they have a roost that is in the coop and covered by their egg box. Why would they just stand out in the rain? Isn’t water bad for them? There are no large standing puddle and the tree helps but they are wet. Anything I should do? Or just worry about in the next nine month rain. Haha

So I’m in Phoenix and we are getting our first meaningful rain in my chickens young 9 month life. We’ve had brief showers but this is a good long soaking. Thankful. Anyway my coop is under an orange tree ( some will remember my roof rat post) but they have a roost that is in the coop and covered by their egg box. Why would they just stand out in the rain? Isn’t water bad for them? There are no large standing puddle and the tree helps but they are wet. Anything I should do? Or just worry about in the next nine month rain. Haha
They obviously enjoy it.
I've had my flock stay out all day in rain when it was in the high 30s. They looked like wet rats when they went to roost.
They came off the roost the following morning all fluffy and shiney and none the worse for wear.

Here is their home. I know the perch inside the coop. is not great. They mostly perch on top. I let them out each day for an hour before sundown and when they go back in I lock them up. I have some bird dogs who will not play nicely with them. Also if you can see them well. One girl has yet to lay. The other stated oct 1 and I get almost two eggs a day. They were born on Good Friday. Strange she’s lagging behind?

Attachments

• 599ACBF0-ACF6-4F19-942A-EE2F466F587F.jpeg
    599ACBF0-ACF6-4F19-942A-EE2F466F587F.jpeg
    755.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 09703F41-55AB-4B87-9717-09ABB43F0043.jpeg
    09703F41-55AB-4B87-9717-09ABB43F0043.jpeg
    640.9 KB · Views: 23
Chickens are outdoor animals. In the wild, they are always out in the rain whenever it rains. Especially in their historical range, which is rainforest.
They just don't care that it is raining.

Back
Top Bottom