Staring out with backyard chickens this year

erazojandf

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Hello,

I am excited about this forum because I hope to start keeping chickens in my backyard. I've got the whole family excited about it. But we are experimenting because I've never done it. Each one of my kids want to keep 3-5 chickens, starting out from chicks. Any advise is welcome. DH still needs to build a suitable coop that will keep away rodents, and skunks and very cost effective. I am collecting free pallets for the project.

I am planning to order from Murray McMurray 25 rode island reds chicks this year. We are on a very low budget, so I'm planning to make our own feed and have them pasture too with lots of sunshine.
Does anyone one have any good suggestions for a homemade chick feed. Or is the recommended brand here best?

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

For lots of chicken information, I would definitely check out the Learning Center: Learning Center Articles

I've never made homemade chicken feed, so I can't advise you there. My birds have done well on commercial chicken feed of various brands--I haven't really found one brand that is vastly superior. I would recommend posting your question in the feeding section of the forums (Feeding & Watering Your Flock), where I'm sure other chicken raisers/feeders will be glad to help.

Good luck with your future flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I've never made homemade chicken feed, either. I would definitely post in the Feeding section for some more answers.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to explore the predator section to get advice on skunk proofing - that's one predator you especially don't want to get close to.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would personally recommend a commercial chick starter as they are specially formulated to meet all your chicks' nutritional needs. Homemade feeds are often sadly lacking in nutritional necessities, and the end result is malnourished chicks that die from illness or other heath problems. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your RIRs.

RIR enjoy the name recognition in the chicken world and most beginners want them as their first chickens. Personally, I don't feel that's the best place to start. There are 100's of beautiful and different breeds out there. Add all the feather patterns and colors available and you literally have 1000 different combinations to choose from. Some hatchery RIRs also have the reputation of being aggressive bullies. The first thing to do is select breeds that are suited for your climate. Cold hardy, heat tolerant. Are they primarily egg producers or do you want birds that will be decent meat birds in the end? With children, it's important to have quiet hens. They will be picked up and carrier around the yard, Kids are also going to name them so it helps that they look different enough so they can tell them apart. 25 red hens all look the same. This will also help you distinguish the layers from the liars as different breeds will have different looking eggs and colors. Maybe let each child select a breed and get 3-5 birds. That way the children can easily distinguish "their" hens and take ownership of them. A variety of hens will produce a colorful egg basket making chicken chores more fun for the kids too.

25 hens to start with is a lot. They will eat on average 50# of feed a week when mature and can produce upwards of 12 dozen eggs a week. You can always sell the extra eggs and offset some of your expenses but there will also be time when you are eating eggs for BL and D just to try to keep your head above water.

Back
Top Bottom