Starlight Green Eggers?

Hreamy19

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2020
Bought 3 new chicks today to add to the dozen we bought 3 days ago. The breed name listed on the pen they were in at the farm store was "Starlight Green Egger". Since I am looking for colorful egg layers, I am excited about these 3! But when I got home and Googled the breed to see what the grown chickens and their eggs look like, I found only one photo showing a brown hen and one photo of chicks, all yellow or light brown in color. The chicks I purchased are all black and white/cream and I'm thinking maybe they were mislabeled? The only thing I can find that looks close are black copper marans chicks, which I would be absolutely thrilled to have, but I'm not sure that's what they are, either. Can anyone help identify them?

Attachments

• Snapchat-540737880.jpg
    Snapchat-540737880.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Snapchat-540737880-2.jpg
    Snapchat-540737880-2.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Snapchat-628719176.jpg
    Snapchat-628719176.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Snapchat-1037601146.jpg
    Snapchat-1037601146.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 83
Sooooooo......yes starlight green eggers are a mix so can vary WIDELY.

Those however look strikingly like Black Australorp chicks.

To get all 3 looking that similar with a mixed breed bird type would have me questioning it too.

Can you find out what other breeds the store had in at the time you purchased yours?

Mine as chicks were chipmunk striped. Mine grew to both be red with small black markings like a new Hampshire chicken. Both are lightweight like leghorns and lay pretty green eggs.

Sooooooo......yes starlight green eggers are a mix so can vary WIDELY.

Those however look strikingly like Black Australorp chicks.

To get all 3 looking that similar with a mixed breed bird type would have me questioning it too.

Can you find out what other breeds the store had in at the time you purchased yours?

Mine as chicks were chipmunk striped. Mine grew to both be red with small black markings like a new Hampshire chicken. Both are lightweight like leghorns and lay pretty green eggs.
They had midnight marans, welsummer, ISA brown, polish crested, amberlink, Easter eggers, barred rocks, Rhode Island Red, Sapphire Gem, and banty mix. There were at least 20 in the bin with these and they all looked very much alike.

Thanks everyone! No feathered legs. I got them from Rural King and decided to check the other 2 Rural Kings in our area to see what they had. All 3 local stores had the same varieties, and the starlight green eggers at the other 2 stores were all yellow/light brown. The 3 chicks that I thought were starlight green eggers were definitely mislabeled, as they all came from the same hatchery at about the same time. The other two stores had midnight majesty marans that look very much like these 3 little ones. The midnight majesty marans bin at the store I bought them from was empty. Time will tell, but I'm now pretty sure they're the marans.

I picked up a starlight Green egger today. Mine is also light/yellow. I did want to mention that I think the mislabeling is a BIG THING at rural king. lol. We picked up ducks today and when I questioned that their "straight run mixed breed ducks" looked just like the ducklings in the "black Swedish bin" the lady said "Oh yeah, the girl mislabeled them so they are blue and black Swedish mixed together" lol... wowwww. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom