Starlight Green Eggers?

I got a bunch of starlights today and while there was quite the variety of markings and color variations, NONE of then were black at all...those do look like marans to me.
Here are my nuggets ☺View attachment 2057878
I got a bunch of starlights today and while there was quite the variety of markings and color variations, NONE of then were black at all...those do look like marans to me.
Here are my nuggets ☺View attachment 2057878
Did all of these turn out to be hens?

Bought 3 new chicks today to add to the dozen we bought 3 days ago. The breed name listed on the pen they were in at the farm store was "Starlight Green Egger". Since I am looking for colorful egg layers, I am excited about these 3! But when I got home and Googled the breed to see what the grown chickens and their eggs look like, I found only one photo showing a brown hen and one photo of chicks, all yellow or light brown in color. The chicks I purchased are all black and white/cream and I'm thinking maybe they were mislabeled? The only thing I can find that looks close are black copper marans chicks, which I would be absolutely thrilled to have, but I'm not sure that's what they are, either. Can anyone help identify them?
Leg pics?

Oh good to know! If you have ant pictures from 4 to 6 weeks I would love to see how they developed as their seems to be much debate on how quickly their combs and wattles grow and turn red
Here is my girl at 12 weeks. No saddle feathers! So still pretty sure she is a hen. She started getting red wattles and comb very early.
70F2A8FA-649C-492B-9C93-8D6CB9C825B9.jpeg

Here is my girl at 12 weeks. No saddle feathers! So still pretty sure she is a hen. She started getting red wattles and comb very early. View attachment 2258460
I bought my Starlight Green Egger at Rural King as well, so glad to see the resemblance. This is my girl tweetie! No eggs from her yet hopefully soon!

Attachments

• 43F9CA4F-96B7-48A4-A7E3-431580E4AADD.jpeg
    43F9CA4F-96B7-48A4-A7E3-431580E4AADD.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 50
View attachment 2276545View attachment 2276549
I got these girls as Starlight Green Eggers 10 weeks ago also from Rural King! I am so confused!😩
I have two starlight eggers from the same place that look very different I think since they are mixed birds it can vary in what they look like. 🤔 or maybe I just have one starlight egger and I haven’t realized it yet. 🤣but the place I got them from is pretty good. I’ve never had a mix up.

Attachments

• 4DB36431-610A-4B4F-A1A4-10C952AF4970.jpeg
    4DB36431-610A-4B4F-A1A4-10C952AF4970.jpeg
    703.9 KB · Views: 51
  • EE4E303C-3039-4F6D-8417-806FC76FDF0A.jpeg
    EE4E303C-3039-4F6D-8417-806FC76FDF0A.jpeg
    699.9 KB · Views: 51
I LOVE my Starlight Green Egger. I purchased my "Dharma" from TSC so I'm pretty sure she's from Hoover's. She is such a sweet girl, actually one of the sweetest. Unfortunately with her personality she's at the bottom of the pecking order. She enjoys human interaction. She is a light gold color (like a Buff Orpington) with white down underneath (white roots :) ). She is a little smaller than the other standard size birds and is a wonderful layer of light green eggs. She'll be 1 year old on the 10th of August.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! No feathered legs. I got them from Rural King and decided to check the other 2 Rural Kings in our area to see what they had. All 3 local stores had the same varieties, and the starlight green eggers at the other 2 stores were all yellow/light brown. The 3 chicks that I thought were starlight green eggers were definitely mislabeled, as they all came from the same hatchery at about the same time. The other two stores had midnight majesty marans that look very much like these 3 little ones. The midnight majesty marans bin at the store I bought them from was empty. Time will tell, but I'm now pretty sure they're the marans.

I also purchased a midnight majesty Marans the same day I purchased my SGE, last August. My MMM has clean legs and feet. Some have feathered feet and some do not. My MMM is solid black with an iridescent sheen, with dark slate legs and feet (picture a large crow with a red comb and wattles). She's such a beauty. From what I understand, they can have white and/or brown along with the black feathering. My Mally lays a dark brown egg. She is comparable in size to my Buff Orpington & she is very heavily feathered.

Back
Top Bottom