Start Laying After Molt in Winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GwenDellAnno, Oct 17, 2010.

1. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    My chickens are now into their second fall (they've been laying since last Nov/Dec). They are in molt and laying has slowed right down. (Like one or two eggs a day from 8 hens). Can you tell me what your experience has been with starting to lay again after molt. Will they start again in December or am I looking at spring before I get any more eggs?

I have 4 barnevelder hens, one of which went broody before molt (the chicks are now 10 weeks old) and 4 EE hens.

Any ideas.

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I want to know this too. I have an EE that has not started back laying it has been 8wks. She did not lose all feathers just some and most have come back. She acts weird and comb is light pink still

3. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm relatively new to chickens, but my 2 old RIR x girls layed year round except during their fall molt on Sept-Oct. I had eggs in Nov,Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April.
    My Silkie girl Aniera started laying in February 2010 for the first time. She laid steadily until August, went broody, the eggs didn't hatch, then she molted, and just Sunday she laid an egg again.
    Hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Sweet. I'm getting 1 - 2 eggs a day from 13 hens. I'll look forward to it picking up within the next month or so. Buying store/factory eggs (even brown ones) sucks!!!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We don't get a serious winter but it certainly freezes and I have to deal with frozen chicken water. Mine started again whenever they were through with the moult; they did not wait til spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by