start laying eggs

I know that most hens start laying eggs around 6mo what breed of chicken starts eggs the earliest
I've had a couple that laid their first egg at 16 weeks but they weren't consistent right off. Consistent laying didn't start until 18-20 weeks. I think they were my hybrids. I have a Calico Princess that I got from Tractor Supply and an Austra White that I got from Meyers. And then I've had some take forever to start. I don't know if there is an official "lays first breed". Maybe someone else will be along to offer suggestions.

well the reason i asked is i just ordered 25 chicks from Strombergs i ordered Delawares. welsummers Ameraucanas Heritage Rhode Island Reds production blues one of them is supposed to lay a 16 weeks and the rest at 20

well the reason i asked is i just ordered 25 chicks from Strombergs i ordered Delawares. welsummers Ameraucanas Heritage Rhode Island Reds production blues one of them is supposed to lay a 16 weeks and the rest at 20
My Welsummer and Ameraucana took a while to lay if I remember correctly. Any "production" bird will probably be your best bet on laying first but I can't say for sure. I haven't ever had any of the other breeds you mentioned. How exciting tho! :ya Good luck to you and your flock! :love

Back
Top Bottom