Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by meathook, Aug 8, 2009.
Looks great - what a labor of love.
The girls moved in on Thursday afternoon. The cardboard is covering the nest boxes to keep them out of them until they get closer to laying.
Here they are their first night. Huddled in the corner. Guess they haven't figured out the roost yet.
Yesterday I built them a little ladder to get to the roost but they still don't want to use it so I put them all up on the roost this morning and we will see what happens. It is only about 3 feet off the floor. I am wondering if it should be painted a different color than the rest of the building. Maybe there isn't enough contrast for them to see it well?
Hopefully get the run built this weekend.
Well, finally the girls are outside. Just a couple things left to do before winter and a few things I want to change but those will have to wait for Spring. Hope to have some eggs by Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed.
1. Find a way to open and close the pop door without having to go in the run.
2. More permanent latch for run door.
List of things for spring.
1. Replace chicken wire on the top of the run with hardware cloth. Also expand the run to go under the coop.
2. Build a frame and hinge the top of the run so it opens so you can work in there standing up.
3. Finish the trim.
4. Figure out a more permanent power solution.
That really looks great and it looks like your kids are loving it.
I am looking for the plastic playhouse thread. Has any one started one.
WOW!! What a transformation!
Great job! This gives me ideas on what to do with my old playhouse.
I was wondering what you used to paint the inside of the coop? It looks shiny...
If your run is secure that nothing can get in, you could just put your pop door on a string to pull it open or if it's really secure, leave it open 24/7 like mine. I haven't lost a bird yet.
The coop was painted with what we had around some left by the previous owner. The inside was painted with deck and porch paint. So it was pretty thick glossy stuff. Hopefully it will be easier to clean.
The run is not completely secure yet, the coop is. It has chicken wire on the top. The hardware cloth was salvaged from a friend so I had a limited amount to use. I plan on putting hardware cloth on the top eventually as well. I would like to build a frame and hinge at least half of the top so I can open it for when I am cleaning out the run.