Start up

Welcome to BYC.
Do you have chickens already?

How many do you have/want?

My 2 suggestions would be for automatic watering systems (a float valve feeding a bucket with horizontal watering nipples) and automatic feeding system (pvc elbows in a giant plastic tote). Makes life much easier to not have to worry about feed and water every day.

Also, I suggest heritage breed dual-purpose chickens, that way you're keeping the pure breeds alive and also getting a ton of eggs each year. And leaves you with options should you want to do more than just eggs in the future.

You can also look into free-ranging/foraging and fermented feed, both have their benefits and downsides. If you are allowed to, have a rooster also, but put a no-crow collar on it.

And have fun!!

My 2 suggestions would be for automatic watering systems (a float valve feeding a bucket with horizontal watering nipples) and automatic feeding system (pvc elbows in a giant plastic tote). Makes life much easier to not have to worry about feed and water every day.

Also, I suggest heritage breed dual-purpose chickens, that way you're keeping the pure breeds alive and also getting a ton of eggs each year. And leaves you with options should you want to do more than just eggs in the future.

You can also look into free-ranging/foraging and fermented feed, both have their benefits and downsides. If you are allowed to, have a rooster also, but put a no-crow collar on it.

And have fun!!
Thanks, my head spinning with all the ifo

Welcome. Start small. A few birds (4 or less) will get your feet wet and be fairly easy to keep. you mentioned Plymouth Rocks, they're great starter birds. Figure out where you're going to keep them and how to cover their needs, and go to town. Beware of chicken math though. "It's only one or 2" becomes "Well I need a few to make sure I've got friends or in case I lose one" in an instant, and "Oh, I haven't seen that one, give me 2" rolls into "Oooh! Shiny! I'll take all that you've got", and suddenly you're building a full-on coop and have so many birds that you're counting with an abacus.

Thing is, you probably won't regret a second of it either... :)

Back
Top Bottom