1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Started Buff Orps and New Hampshire Reds, need advice fast

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tororider, Mar 7, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Ok,
    So I found an add for 6 buff orps and 6 nhrs for $5 each. They are 4.5-5 weeks old and the owner believes they are all hens. I have questions

1) How much space in a brooder would these hens need, I only want 4 of them.? I don't have my coop built yet, but I like the idea of getting eggs 4.5-5 weeks earlier. I do have a brooder that is 3.5'x2'.

2)Which of these two breeds is a better layer? I am looking for something that will lay year round. I know that buff orps are pretty good, no rir, but hey, they are older.

3) At this age should it be easy to make sure I am getting hens?

4) If I don't want these is there anyone out there that does is the detroit area.

2. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    both are heavy layers and with good care should give you just about an egg a day.

i have two reds and avg about 3 eggs every 4 days.

in the summer i expect that to be nearly 4 for 4.

the roo's will grow much quicker than a hen, so if you have some that are significantly larger that would likely be a roo.

otherwise you likely have all hens.

3. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    So with two hens you get about a half dozen eggs a week? Just want to clarify if you are getting 3 eggs over four days per hen or for both.

4. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    no id say its closer to 10 eggs a week, some weeks i get a full doz...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by