Started construction on my first coop

In regards to green roofs - I built a shed with one on it.
If you'd like to do it a few things to keep in mind:

You don't want too great a slope. Mine was less than 10 degrees. Too much and your soil can slide.
You'll have to have extra-strong side walls below the roof and double up on the support beams (I just nailed two 2x4s together instead of using one)
I'd strongly recommend using EPDM as a liner. Plastic will break down too quickly. Cover the roof with landscape fabric, put the liner on top of that, put down a layer of vermiculite for drainage, cover that with a layer of landscape fabric, then add soil.
Be sure to have a runoff hole/spout to let the water drain.

In regards to green roofs - I built a shed with one on it.
If you'd like to do it a few things to keep in mind:

You don't want too great a slope. Mine was less than 10 degrees. Too much and your soil can slide.
You'll have to have extra-strong side walls below the roof and double up on the support beams (I just nailed two 2x4s together instead of using one)
I'd strongly recommend using EPDM as a liner. Plastic will break down too quickly. Cover the roof with landscape fabric, put the liner on top of that, put down a layer of vermiculite for drainage, cover that with a layer of landscape fabric, then add soil.
Be sure to have a runoff hole/spout to let the water drain.
I lucked out with a handy carpenter man who has an engineer/architect for a dad. That's all them.
I just tell them what I want and they make it so.
We will build the coop with an eventual green roof in mind, but will most likely hold off on implementing the green roof until next year.
Great tips tho! Thanks! :D

Got the walls raised, the roof on, and the coop floor installed yesterday with the help of some friends!

I'm really happy with how it is coming along so far. We ran out of time and wood to finish framing the coop wall inside the run and we have obviously not started skinning it yet but it is looking like a coop!

Got the walls raised, the roof on, and the coop floor installed yesterday with the help of some friends!

I'm really happy with how it is coming along so far. We ran out of time and wood to finish framing the coop wall inside the run and we have obviously not started skinning it yet but it is looking like a coop!

It looks great!! Are you planning to insulate it?

It looks great!! Are you planning to insulate it?
Thanks. I will probably insulate the roof because that metal will get really hot but I do not think the walls will need it. The coop sits in the shade of two large maples and sits almost directly under a blue atlas cedar. I hope the trees (along with multiple vents) will help keep it livable in the summer. It doesn't usually get that cold here in the winter as long as they have some shelter from the wind. I figure I can go back and insulate later if needed. There is also a power outlet next to the coop so I can run a heat lamp if needed.

The construction continues!

Here is is with 3 of the 4 walls installed. The opening on the left is where the nest boxes will stick out. The opening you can see on the front next to the door is a window. There is also a vent above the window which you can't see because of the tree branch.

This window came from a local salvage place and only cost $12.50. Still need to finish the vent above it though.

And around back we've got another (larger) vent opening and a clean-out door. As you can see the coop is still missing the "inside" wall. The vertical 2x4 you can see on that side will be part of the framing for the pop door which will let the chickens out into the run.

The vents will have flaps covering them which will flip up on hinges so they will block some rain when open. The coop portion will have all the openings covered with hardware cloth and the run will be chicken wire'd.

I got the nest box attached today. It is roughly 4' long by 13" deep, and 16" tall sloping back to about 12" tall. It is double walled with an OSB inner and a siding exterior. I used a hook-and-eye latch with a spring loaded retainer to secure it closed. Should be reasonably predator resistant.

I decided rather than dividing the box that I am going to try to leave it as one big/long box. I figure I can always add dividers later if needed.

Finally got the 4th wall put on today. It is the wall inside the roofed area which has a 32"x32" access door and the pop door for the chickens to come in and out. The pop door cutout is 11" wide by 14" tall. The door and slide mechanism are not installed yet but will consist of a piece of Corian (the stuff they make counter tops out of) which should work well because it is smooth and pretty heavy so it will be difficult for a predator who might make into the run area to lift with nothing to grip on the outside.

Still haven't made the ramp or any of the finish trim yet but it is really starting to look like a coop! The grls are just over 2 weeks old so I've still got a little time before they'll be ready to move in but I'm feeling more confident about it being ready in time.

Back
Top Bottom