Started my coop/run today

Yeah, that's something I'm glad I remembered. Another thing to remember, if you're using hardware cloth or wire beneath the foundation frame, make sure you have PLENTY of fill, so when the flock is dust bathing, they don't hit the wire. I didn't get enough stone and sand, so I'm going to be topping the foundation off with the soil I removed while I was excavating and leveling.

@ Davisfamily....I finished the nesting box and snapped a couple more photos. I used 5/8 inch zip system for the walls, floor and lid. The side walls and center partition dimensions are 16" high (front edge) x 14" high (back edge) x 12" depth. The width of the entire box is 32", allowing about 15" for the two nesting boxes when you account for the width of the 5/8" partition and side walls. For support, i framed the inside of the box(es) with 1 x 2 pine. At the front of the set up (attaching to the coop) I attached a 1 x 3 frame, creating a lip to keep bedding and eggs from falling out. This also served as a means of attaching the setup to the coop. Then, as you cansee inthe photos, I went around the outside of the box with 1x2s as molding....to seal things up. I was planning on shingling the roof of the box, but I'm thinking it'll get too hot in the nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom