Started my mealworms today...wish me luck!

The pupa does not move until it's much later stages. They basically go dormant and spend all of the time and energy morphing. At the later stages, you will be able to see them wiggling a little bit or the feet moving as they lay upside down. Just let them be and nature will take it's course.

I used to raise mealworms for my geckos. I used bran, wheat germ, and oatmeal. I also used a slice potato to give them water. Watch out for other bugs though. Roaches love feasting off the bedding! Also you can get carpet beatles, moths, and all other sorts of unwanted insects in the bran.

I just found another pupa. They have only been out of the fridge for two days, so they must've been ready. I'm having too much fun watching them!

Thanks for the link and info. I actually have a couple 10 gallon tanks around from when Petco had the $1 per gallon sale. I am going to start a colony soon using that method. If you told me a couple years ago that I was going to be growing composting worms and mealworms I would have said you were crazy. Of course I probably wouldn't have thought I would own a rabbit and 4 chickens either.

Speaking of composting, I am working on starting a black soldier fly composter as well. I found an excellent design on Garden Pool that was ideal for my situation. Everything I've read, it is much more efficient and infinitely faster than a regular compost pile, once you get it going. Check it out, if you're already composting it should be an easy deal. Part of my problem is that my household doesn't generate enough food waste, I don't think. I'm trying to supplement with the spoiled produce from my local WalMart if they'll let me. That's on my list of things to do today.

I tried regular composting at my last house and failed miserably. I couldn't get it to work. Instead, all I ever got was a big, dense pile of waste that was hard to fluff and turn over. I even bought a composting barrel that allows you to rotate it on the stand every day and I couldn't get that to work. Glad you're managing it!

Back
Top Bottom