lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I wanted 3 or 4.

Now I have more than 3 or 4 breeds.

Yep, happens to everyone.

Heck my last house I had one coop and within a month I had 2 more and 26 chicks in a brooder.

Here I had one coop and just kept filling it.

There are 10 coops in various stages of completion in my back yard now and I need a few more cause I have 4 brooders going.

I don't even know how many I have anymore and it's to hard to count them cause they move to fast. That's why you really do have to count them before they hatch.

Welcome to "chicken math".

We decided last spring to get 2, maybe 3 hens and build one of those little chicken tractor thingies, right? That was certainly a good start. Now we have a series of coops in the backyard, a small flock of 6 chickens and are adding 2 more in the spring... AND we are looking for a place to rent out in the country because we want a REAL flock and would like to get some roosters (no roos here, it would tick off my neighbors).

I think you will find yourself in good company here and that many people started out just like you.

I moved out of town, partly so I can have my ponies next to the house, partly so I could get back into chicken breeding because roo's are banned in town.
'Course I didn't tell DH about my breeding/showing plans, he just thought we were getting 'a few hens for eggs'. I love chicken math!
gig.gif

First off, you have a BEAUTIFUL chickens and chicken coop. I started with 5 ducks and was allowed by my hubby to have 2 chickens, now I have 3 ducks, 4 roosters, 17 hens and 1 baby chic who hatched yesterday (broody mom with 16 eggs) and I have a shed that is 7x7 and a coop 4x2 with 2 floors and a run 17x10 and 2nd run about 30x30ft but we are going to build them another coop and run. It all depends on how many more chickens are you planning on getting ?

Now the link below is what we're considering on building in the next few days, but addition to the coop/run, there will be a second run with bare floor for grass and the top will be all fenced in to get them more sun. It will be approx 24x10 run and the coop maybe 6x8 or 8x8. Hope this will give you some ideas.

http://www.atalarahsap.com/kopek-kulubesi.aspx the 5th picture from your left. Some reason, I can't paste any photo's in here.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what I'm looking for also, but the prices are too high for me right now. I've tried to find something near the cemetery where my husband is buried, but I think he'd understand if I didn't buy something for 1 mil on an acre and a half. Geez the prices. I've been checking from Stockton to Fairfirld. Thye National Cemetery is in Dixon, so just trying to get a little closer and nutin honey!

Well, I know it's in the opposite direction of where you want to be, but the place we're looking at/hoping for is between Merced & Atwater out in the sticks, near where Castle AFB used to be. Since you are in Modesto, you may be familiar with the general vicinity. We're looking to rent & the place we found just happens to be through a friend, but if you're looking to buy, there are really inexpensive places in the sticks out in that area. Something worth thinking about.

For the record, you couldn't PAY ME to live in town in either Merced OR Atwater.

Quote:
After working all day, I find it and them ssooo therapeutic!! Too dark when I get home now. But I go out and tuck them in for the night.

Me too!
love.gif
I love happy hour with the chickens, but they steal the cheese and crackers.
idunno.gif

I'm out in the coop at least three times each day to gather eggs, tidy up the poop boards, do the feed/water chores and just "be" with the chickens. Our coop is attached to our barn with a people door in between. I have a small TV on my workbench in the barn - the chickens love to watch old M A S H reruns with me and I love having them around when I'm puttering...

Back
Top Bottom