Started pullets please help!

Mjkpreno

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
Sparks, Nevada
I’m new to the chicken world. I currently have 3-10 week old barred rocks and I just purchased 2 australorp started pullets last week that are 9 weeks. The australorps are in a small coop in the garage and are separated from the main coop. They seem really skittish and run away when someone approaches them. I know that I need to work with them and they will eventually come around (I hope). There was a major shipping delay with the post office and they were really late arriving. I originally ordered a buff Orpington but she died shortly after arriving at my house. She was eating and drinking fine but when we came out in the morning she was laying down with labored breathing and died shortly after. Not sure if it was stress from the shipping?? Any ideas? My concerns with the other 2 are that they seem so scared and are in this little coop. I’m wondering how long I needed to wait to transfer them the the outside coop? It makes me scared because of the buff dying, maybe it could have something. I don’t want to spread it to my 3. I just hate for them to be in a small coop and be so afraid. When they get used to it I am going to pull them out to the big coop and they will be scared again. I’m not sure what to do. Also, the hatchery is sending a new buff out on tues. I’m not sure if I should wait and move them all out to the big coop together do one doesn’t get picked on. Thanks!!

Hiya Mj, :welcome. Since you are getting the other Buff in just a couple days I would wait and introduce all the new chooks together(provided that the small garage coop is not absolutely too small to do so). That gives you a couple days to observe the Austrolorps and hopefully they settle in okay. As they get familiar with you and the new surroundings I bet they'll do fine:). I have a Black Austrolorp and she's my best bird as far as being even keeled and a good consistent layer. Best of luck with your new chickens:thumbsup.

I too would wait, until you get the new bird and introduce them all together.

Shipping is hard on birds, so I think that was probably the problem.

Take a good look at your main set up. What do you have for hide outs? Do you have roosts in the run? Platforms that birds can get up on top of or underneath? Mini walls that a feed station can be set behind?

Birds need to be able to get out of sight of more aggressive birds. When they get out of sight, a lot of aggression dies in the more dominant bird. Many runs are just an open rectangle, and any bird in it no matter where they are, are in the sight of all the other birds. This is a boring run for chickens. Clutter makes it more interesting, gives more shade, and some exercise as they move up and down vertically.

When you get your new birds, let the original birds out into the yard, and lock the new birds in the coop and run. This allows the new birds to explore the set up without being chased. It also allows the old birds to see them in there. Let the older birds into the set up just before dark. The urge to go to the coop will be about as strong as the urge to fight.

Do this for 4-5 days, then when you can be there, leave everyone in the run/coop and see how it goes.

Mrs K

Thanks so much! Will definitely check out the links. Hopefully they will warm up to me!

I will wait to introduce them all together. My run is 12x8 and there are plenty of hiding spots and places to climb and roost. I’m hoping that it goes smoothly.

Hopefully the shipment with the new Orpington goes well. Thanks all again for your help!!

Where did you order your started pullets from? I’m looking for some as well! :love

I hope everything goes smoothly for you! I have a black Australorp and she’s my friendliest, most talkative and best layer.
Good luck!

Where did you order your started pullets from? I’m looking for some as well! :love

I hope everything goes smoothly for you! I have a black Australorp and she’s my friendliest, most talkative and best layer.
Good luck!

Hello! I ordered from claborn farms. The owner was very helpful and answered a lot of questions. I received another Orpington and I waited a bit to move her over to the big coop with the australorps. It is going great now! Occasionally there will be some chasing and pecking from the bigger barred rocks but it seems like only when it comes to treats.

The australorps are starting to get used to us and are less skittish! I’m really enjoying all of them!

Still waiting for my first egg!!

Good luck to you as well!!

Back
Top Bottom