Started raising quail for meat/eggs

Thank you.

Picked up the 30% feed this morning. Figure since they're 3-4 weeks old (when I picked them up so they're closer now to 4-5 weeks old) I'll keep them on the straight 30% for the next couple of weeks. Then I'll start cutting it with the 12.5% afterwards.

Question for when I start incubating the eggs, after they've hatched and are in the brooder do I need to use the starter crumbles or can I grind up the 30% and use that for the first couple of weeks? I saw the starter crumbles at the feed store but if I can simply grind up the 30% for a while then I'd do that.

Thank you.

Picked up the 30% feed this morning. Figure since they're 3-4 weeks old (when I picked them up so they're closer now to 4-5 weeks old) I'll keep them on the straight 30% for the next couple of weeks. Then I'll start cutting it with the 12.5% afterwards.

Question for when I start incubating the eggs, after they've hatched and are in the brooder do I need to use the starter crumbles or can I grind up the 30% and use that for the first couple of weeks? I saw the starter crumbles at the feed store but if I can simply grind up the 30% for a while then I'd do that.

I use 28% game bird from day one. I do grind it up for the first 7 days. If I was you I would get rid of one rooster 2 is to many for 6 hens. I raise mine 6 hens to a rooster. I've tried having several rooster with a bunch of hens nothing but trouble believe me.

I use 28% game bird from day one. I do grind it up for the first 7 days. If I was you I would get rid of one rooster 2 is to many for 6 hens. I raise mine 6 hens to a rooster. I've tried having several rooster with a bunch of hens nothing but trouble believe me.

Thank you. That's what I'll do.

i am not to sure about DE in the water? generally it will already be in the store bought food i think? i add DE to the food anyway and sprinkle around there roost an nest boxes. about the egg shells it is my understanding calcium can harm birds until they are laying eggs so i would look into that.

about the egg shells it is my understanding calcium can harm birds until they are laying eggs so i would look into that.

Okay, thanks for that advice (that's why I joined here, to get some good info). So I did some research here on the board. Looks like it's a good idea to wait till their laying and make it a free choice in a separate container. So I'll wait till they're laying and then put some to the side so it's available. I'm simply using crushed egg shells. Crushed with a motar and pestle very fine.

After reading all the advice given in this thread, and looking at other threads here's what I'm thinking. Your thoughts welcome.

Currently have the 4x2 wire cage that I made. Currently holding 6 females and 2 males. Thinking of making this my grow out cage for after the brooder and until they're 6-7 weeks to harvest or start laying (and then transfer them to different smaller cages). Thinking of making a PVC rack so I can stack smaller cages. Thinking of four cages that are 2x2 with room in between for droppings (a pan that can be used for my compost and cleaned easily). In the 2x2 cages I'm thinking 3 females and 1 male.

How does this plan sound?

Last edited:
Thank you.

Picked up the 30% feed this morning.  Figure since they're 3-4 weeks old (when I picked them up so they're closer now to 4-5 weeks old) I'll keep them on the straight 30% for the next couple of weeks.  Then I'll start cutting it with the 12.5% afterwards.

Question for when I start incubating the eggs, after they've hatched and are in the brooder do I need to use the starter crumbles or can I grind up the 30% and use that for the first couple of weeks?  I saw the starter crumbles at the feed store but if I can simply grind up the 30% for a while then I'd do that.

I am also new to quail. They grow very quickly. I assume you have cortinux.

Alot of research has been done on these birds and everything says they need a high protein food for life. 12.5 protein will cause problems based on my research. (Not really my research but experts at universities)

Yes, they are coturnix quail.

I'm using the 30% now until after they reach about six weeks, then I plan to mix the 12.5% with the 30% until it's gone and then simply use 30% from now on. Figure there's no reason to waste the 12.5% and mixed it will provide 20%+ for them until it's finished.

Back
Top Bottom