1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Started some tomato seeds today in eggshells!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Mar 4, 2012.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Pretty excited to see if this works or not. I planted black cherry tomatoes in the green shells and valencia tomatoes in the tan shells. I used a sharp knife to make the first crack in the skinny end of the egg to give the most root space. I also added a little drain hole on the bottom. They're inside under lights and on a seed starting mat. Hopefully I'll have some little seedlings to give to my mom and dbf's mom for Easter!

[​IMG]

Hopefully I'll have a comparison shot to this soon with something growing in it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I have a friend that does this and just plants the seedling, shell and all.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just gotta say - Nice green eggs there, and Black Cherry? Always a very smart choice. Love 'em! [​IMG]

4. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Great idea for recycling the shells. I use toilet paper rolls, cut them in half, fill with soil, plant seed. and when it spouts, I put the whole thing in a bigger seed cup made from newspaper, then the whole thing goes into the garden. I won't start mine for acouple more weeks. Good luck, keep sending the pics.

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    What a neat idea! Those would be awesome Easter gifts for a gardener. Let us know how they grow.

6. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Great Idea. If only I had ostriches.

7. SophieL

SophieL Out Of The Brooder

I did this this year and the predators have been eating up the shells!!! [​IMG]

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I did this last year. It works really good but I started to soon and the plants go so big before I could move them outside. But it did work good and I was able to give some away.

9. lagunitas

lagunitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2011
    [​IMG] And Emu eggs, how awesome would that be?

Cool pics crazybillionsofcats&chickenslady, can't wait to see how they turn out!! [​IMG]

10. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I was shocked to find most of them in some sort of growth! Its only been 6 days. I was worried about not having anything sprouted yet to give to our parents for easter.. [​IMG] I had peeled out the membrane from the inside and it made the eggs really fragile and they're starting to break apart around the top without anything to hold them together.. I will start leaving it in the eggs I have set off to the side to plant in. Last year, and the last 4 or so years prior I used jiffy peat pots to try and start seedlings. Hah, what a joke! Last year I ended up buying started tomato plants because I couldn't even get the seedlings started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little corner of the workbench in the garage. I have a little low watt light on them because the seeding mat wasn't keeping them warm enough..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by