Started to crow

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Weeks ago we were sad to give away our cochin cockerel Oliver, we can't have roos(or chickens shhhh). He was said to have crowed around 10 times; this was his first time crowing. I wish I had more time to determine how much he would crow BUT we couldn't take the risk. I got home in the afternoon and he didn't make a peep. Do cockerels usually crow quite a bit to get the hang of it and then spread out their crows?

They crow for several reasons, and refrain for others. It's a natural thing to do, no doubt related to their hormones. Another cockerel nearby or crowing within earshot can cause them to crow. The first crack of dawn seems to cause them to crow. A dominant cockerel in the flock might cause them not to crow, or to crow less. But if you have a cockerel, you will no doubt hear crowing sometimes.

It's too bad we accept barking dogs, four wheelers, gunshots, etc. and can't accept the natural action of a small animal. I love to hear a good crow -- at any hour. I'm accustomed to it and it never wakes me any more. When I llived in a big city, 2 AM sirens didn't wake me after a while, either.

I know there are several things that could cause him to crow. He crowed 10 times in a row; I heard him through the phone and he sounded good. I agree with you on. "acceptable" sounds. More people should be educated about chickens, especially city officials. Say he crowed around 10 times and then he was quiet. I guess he got it out of his system.

My 2.5 year old rooster crows when it suits him. Some days it seems there is nary a peep out of him. Other days, he goes on all throughout the day. When the hens are laying, the egg song is often louder than any rooster's crow.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom