Started with 12, now down to 8. I dropped one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beckyloveschicks, Aug 16, 2008.

1. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    I started with 12 eggs from my flock (all BR hen X white rock roo). On day 10, I removed 2 because they were not developing. Tonight -- day 14-- I got one out to candle and I dropped it on the floor!

So I didn't even try to candle anymore. I'll try again tomorrow.

Butterfingers!

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ouch, my heart would hurt after that [​IMG]
    Don't worry too much about it, the day my babies were first shipped, one was dropped. But hey, I hatched out eight beautiful babies! But now everytime I carry the eggs I tingle all over. It's so nerve-racking.
    Sorry for the loss, I'm praying for a successful hatch! [​IMG]

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I'm sorry. Accidents happen so quickly.
    Good luck with your hatch!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I haven't dropped any hard enough to break them but I don't know what was up with this last batch. Every time I tried to turn them they'd slip out of my fingers and land on the mesh. I never had them more than a few inches up but I still worried about it. I finally started turning them by just rolling and sliding them instead. Extra slippery eggs or something.

5. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    dang sorry that you dropped one. I always feel like i going to drop one when i candle them.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Check out this link posted by Miss Prissy. I've started doing this and it is WAAAYYY better than picking up each egg. I've had too many mishaps that way. I don't have a turner, but I do incubate and hatch in cartons, so the same principle applies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65134

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by