Egg Candling - with photos

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I get a lot question about how I candle my eggs.

I use a Surefire G2 tactical flashlight . I got it on sale at a sporting goods store for something like $30.

sf1.jpg

I upgraded to the led lamp.

sf2.jpg

I was tired of buying batteries so I upgraded to the rechargable.

sf4.jpg

I use a soft piece of flannel with a small hole cut out and a rubber band to hold it in place to direct the light to a strong thin beam.

sf5.jpg

When I candle I use this very soft tip and run it over the tops of the eggs to see what is going on. having dropped and cracked an egg befoe i never touch them now to pick them up. They stay in the turner.

sf7.jpg

It works really well. I like the new upgrade even better.

sf8.jpg

You may not be able to tell but I can candle these in the day time and still see the veins.

sf9.jpg

That is very, very cool Miss Prissy!
wink.png

I've been using the little LED pin light and a tube for candling, but I still don't know for sure what's good and what's bad ...even after looking at umpteen tutorials and pics of such
roll.png

Maybe I'll upgrade my equipment and my deciphering who's who will kick in...

That's great. I like my slide projector, but when the bator is full it takes a long time to pick up each egg and check it. I may need to find a nice light like that. Thanks for sharing.
big_smile.png

Thanks for the info Miss Prissy. I have a surefire light, but never thought to put the cloth with hole over it.

I also will try to candle while leaving them in the turner next time. I was picking up each egg.

Great pics, MissP. I LOVE my surefire, but we gave like $90 something for mine!!! I wish I could find another for $30, because everytime I go hunting I forget my flashlight because it is in the hatching house!!!

Back
Top Bottom