Starter breeds?

Lee21

Chirping
Sep 28, 2015
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but as you know I'm keen on keeping poultry. And I would like to know what a good starter breed of chicken is for a total novice. I live in South Africa and would like to know which is best for my country. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would suggest Black Australorps. We've had several members from South Africa who've had them (including one who exclusively used them in a laying house) and they've been very happy with them. Black Australorps are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (great lap pets), and excellent layers of large brown eggs. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go check out the learning centre. I'll probably be asking questions for a while as I know very little about poultry. I look forward to learning more.

Back
Top Bottom