Starter Crumlbe all medicated?

Mr.Yardbird

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 30, 2008
lake meredith
Is most starter crumble medicated? I use Nutrina (sp?) atm. I ordered 25 layers and these are not availabe for the cocci, vaccine this time of year. Just needed a good idea on what feed to use.

Regards,
Mr.Yardbird

I asked my feed store for medicated crumbles and the guy told me any kind of mash was best for baby chicks - is that right? That's what I'm giving them and they are eating it fine, but are they getting what they need? They are a week old now.

It is your choice to feed medicated or not. If the feed is medicated it will say 'medicated' right on the bag, or on the tag at the bottom of the bag.

I asked a guy at a feed store today if they had unmedicated chick feed in pellet form, and he said, sure, it's layer mash. Make sure whatever you're feeding, it isn't for layers, as the feed is too high in calcium for the chicks (I know, that's backward from humans, but there you go). If they weren't vaccinated for cocci, and you want to have them medicated (i do, some people choose not to) then you need to make sure it is medicated *chick* feed. (starter/grower is another thing you might see on the bag label.)

Good luck

Oh, and mash is best when they are tiny, as crumbles can be a bit big for them for a few weeks yet.

I always use starter crumble. It comes medicated and not. It's up to you if you want medicated feed or not. Regardless, having sulmet or some cocci med on hand is a good idea since they can get it either way as chicks and even as adults. Early exposure to the soil will help them build up their immunities. The meds only prevent the cocci from multiplying in the gut. It is a protozoa, not a bacteria or virus.

Back
Top Bottom