starter feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coalroadcabin, Nov 17, 2011.

1. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    It's time for me to switch to Layena since my girls will be 18 weeks old on Monday. So I'll be heading to the store to buy new feed on Friday.

I will have about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of start & grow left over though. Can I just keep this for my next batch of chicks (probably order a batch of chicks this spring) or should I go ahead and get rid of the start and grow and just buy new when I get new chicks? I'm not sure what the shelf life of the chick feed is.

Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I wouldn't save it until spring because it might not be fresh by then, but I would just mix that in with the bag of starter and use it up. No need to throw it out.....

3. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Thanks chicmom. My start and grow is medicated though - is it still okay to feed it to them?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

More the reason to finish it off. Most medicated feed is merely amprollium, which is fairly harmless, even if the birds begin to lay. Read the label to be sure.

The pullets don't NEED layer. It is merely a feed with shells (calcium carbonate) ground into the mix. Nothing magic and nothing your pullets need immediately in any case. Unless they are a top laying strain, they aren't likely to lay until 22-26 weeks anyhow. Plenty of time to use up the starter, imo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by