Starter Feed

Starter is good for a few weeks. If they are layers then feed them starter until 8 to 12
weeks and switch to layer.

If they are meat birds I usually switch after 2 weeks.

Please pardon my confusion -
hu.gif

I Thought that you fed the chick-starter until 8-9 weeks, then either grower or flock-raiser until they start laying. When they start laying, you can either switch them to layer feed, or leave them on flock-raiser and supplement with oyster shell.

Was I mis-informed?

edit for typos

Last edited:
For Layers: McMurray told us to...Use a commercial chick starter for the first 8 weeks. Then offer both starter and layer mash for a few days, then take away the starter.

i was told if you have hens use starter till they lay an egg then switch to layer feed, if they are on layer to early and aren't laying yet the extra calcium in the food can damage their liver.

Starter is fime up to the point where layers need the extra calcium for eggs.

Meatbirds need extra protein, something already in starter. Heck you can feed a meat
bird starter until you cull it.

I think part of the confusion comes from the names given to the feed. Around here it's hard to find "chick starter". Chick starter/grower is readily available. Mine were on that until they reached 19 weeks and I got my first egg, then I switched them to layer.

Back
Top Bottom