1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starter Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wxdude99, Oct 13, 2008.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I got my chicks a week ago, and I've been feeding them starter feed. How long before I switch to normal feed? Thanks.

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I believe its about 16 to 20 weeks before they get changed over. If you do a quick search on BYC you'll find many answers.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Starter is good for a few weeks. If they are layers then feed them starter until 8 to 12
    weeks and switch to layer.

If they are meat birds I usually switch after 2 weeks.

4. MamaDragon

MamaDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    Please pardon my confusion - [​IMG]

I Thought that you fed the chick-starter until 8-9 weeks, then either grower or flock-raiser until they start laying. When they start laying, you can either switch them to layer feed, or leave them on flock-raiser and supplement with oyster shell.

Was I mis-informed?

edit for typos

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  5. MamaDragon

MamaDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    Quote:PC - What do you switch them to? Grower/finisher? or something else?

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    For Layers: McMurray told us to...Use a commercial chick starter for the first 8 weeks. Then offer both starter and layer mash for a few days, then take away the starter.

7. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    i was told if you have hens use starter till they lay an egg then switch to layer feed, if they are on layer to early and aren't laying yet the extra calcium in the food can damage their liver.

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Starter is fime up to the point where layers need the extra calcium for eggs.

Meatbirds need extra protein, something already in starter. Heck you can feed a meat
    bird starter until you cull it.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think part of the confusion comes from the names given to the feed. Around here it's hard to find "chick starter". Chick starter/grower is readily available. Mine were on that until they reached 19 weeks and I got my first egg, then I switched them to layer.

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I'm sorry I must have misread something on another section. Its good you asked this question so now I know. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by