1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starter/finisher for my layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gvnam, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Can my layers have starter/finisher feed? I am out of layers feed about. I have about a full bag of starter finisher. I am running out of medicated feed for my chicks too! Can they use starter/finisher?

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I would probably give your chicks the starter/finisher before I would give the laying hens it. Layer feed has protein in it for hens who are laying.

3. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    So it won't do anything to my chicks? My hens have about 30lbs of layer feed, I just foun out! Forgot to check our shed. My chicks have about 3-5 lbs of chick feed. They need feed the most. They are 6 weeks today.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Of course. Feed your layers the starter/finisher. They'll eat it. You've run out of layer, so you've got to feed them. They won't care. For a stop gap, any feed can feed just about any chicken.

They all are corn, soybeans, blah blah blah. About the only difference is the protein tweak and the higher calcium in layer formulas.

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    The chicks or the layers could have have the starter / finisher the protein level is about the same but you would have to suppliment the layers with some free choice oyster shell or eggshells crushed. Alot of people use flock raiser or a finisher when there is different ages in the coops. [​IMG]

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:my thoughts also...just add some oyster shell or crushed egg shells on the side for your layers....won't hurt the little ones

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by