Starting a flock.

Madmunki

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
Buford, Ga
I will be finishing up my coop this weekend, just need run the chicken wire around the perimeter, which I am picking up tomorrow.

My question is:

I am very new to chickens. Should I start my flock (4-5 hens) now, or wait until spring? I don't have a heater setup yet. I am a few miles north of Atlanta ga, it's pretty warm here, do I need a heater in the winter? So someone completely new, would now be a good time to get chickens, with the winter approaching?

Is the coop like insulated or inside a shed or something? If not, then I would wait until spring.

Also, would you get chicks or chickens? If you get chicks, you would house them inside in a brooder anyway, so you could always get them in the middle of winter, and then you'd be able to move them into the coop during spring.

I am not sure how cold it gets in Georgia as I have only been there once before but I bet you can get away with no heat, and maybe a light bulb or heat lamp if some freakish weather comes your way, but I would wait for the weather warnings! I am one of the nerds that does heat the coop and insulated it and I don't think I would have done that if I lived down your way. The place I got my chickens from is even further north than I and they sure as heck aren't going to heat the barn.

Your coop looks nice, good job!

If you are getting adult birds then no, you do not need a heat source at all. If your getting chicks then yes, you need to raise them in a brooder with a heat source until they are fully feathered.

You are closer to where I used to live in GA. At your elevation, you should not need heat for adults, but chicks would need supplemental heat until they are 6-8 weeks of age and completely feathered.

I'm still in GA, but up at 2000 ft elevation in the mountains (my sister lives in Buford near the lake) so I get colder than you will in winter.

Be aware that chicken wire keeps chickens in, but does not keep predators OUT! Near a lake, wooded area like you have, very very probable predators in the area.

Contact your local poultry club, some might have some chickens for sale. This would give you full grown birds right away. You can add chicks in the spring either with a broody hen or a brooder box.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom