Starting a hatchery?

I figure If I were to pursue breeding I would breed more ornamental birds. I've had experience with the silkie breed, the polish, samatras, yokohamas, and cochins. I've bred for better feathered feet, better crests, for silkies all black skin and the right comb and five toes. I try to keep my polish more agile looking instead of thicker and i've had success further improving my other breeds unfortunately i had to move for the summer a year ago and had to start fresh and i still have silkies and polish but looking to get more breeds in the spring . The meat industry seems like a definite for me and so does breeding, but the breed are what i need to think hard about. Also I'm fine with being a breeder who breeds for in state only or ships eggs throughout the country and produces meat locally. I just wonder if this will be able to make a significant income for a nice living? I don't need to be rich but I want to be able to afford everything life has to throw and have a little extra for other things. I know the meat would sell and then also chicks. I figure the chicks fould be more popular in the warmer seasons so I would need to adjust to have more meat in the winter to sell. I do intend on going to college about this sort of stuff. Thank you for everyones help and any more help would be great. I dont mind taking time to improve and learn. I love to learn about chickens and how everything works together in a business. I do have experience breeding and selling chicks but not meat yet. I might make that a summer project.

I want to be a “breeder” of frizzled chickens and pure bred porcelain/golden neck d’uccles! You should pursue that if you really want to :)

Back
Top Bottom