Some desirable and popular breeds in my opinion include

Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers
Black Copper Marans
Silkies
Wyandotte’s
New Hampshire’s
Welsummers
True Ameraucana
and for people who want high production- ISA browns (golden comets)

Feel free to add any more breeds, just thought I’d give my 2 cents. :)
I️ have a BSL hen with a rose comb. I️ don’t know if I️ can breed her because of it.
1631589323479.jpeg

Oh, Cochins are very desirable for a lot of people to
I have so many Cochins! I️ accidentally bred a RIR with a Red Cochin earlier this year. He is a very pretty rooster.
1631589518976.jpeg

Oh yeah!!! I have 2 Speckled Sussex, Riju and Ruby! They are gorgeous birds!!! View attachment 2832870View attachment 2832871
Omg they are so cute! I️ have one but she’s older and doesn’t lay anymore. I️ love how quirky they are!

Sorry, what is a BSL? Brain not working this early.
Black sexlink

Can I️ breed to sell a BSL with a rose comb? The standard is a single comb for this breed, so I️ wasn’t sure.
It isn't a breed, it's a mutt. You can't breed two sexlinks together to make more. You need to cross certain sexes of certain breeds together to make them

Your first step besides having enough space would be to contact your state's agriculture department and see what certifications you need. Even small backyard poultry enthusiasts like myself that plan on shipping chicks and eggs next spring have to get NPIP certified on a small level to legally comply with my state. If you're talking about having even just a small hatchery, I think anything over 200-300 birds has to be certified at least annually if not semi-annually, and this includes bleeding all of your birds, testing your incubators, and sometimes testing your eggs. Even a small flock with like 10 birds would have to be tested annually. What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter about the number of birds, that in order to legally ship across state lines you have to have your birds tested. This goes for any type of poultry you are selling off of your property. To find this information, simply type your state's name and then "NPIP certification" or "selling poultry across state lines". If you don't live in the states, there are still regulations in different countries and you'd have to do research based on your area.

Another thing I've seen people mention was the quality of your birds. Just because you want to have a hatchery doesn't mean you'll make money. Your birds need a clean bill of health as well as being good, quality birds from good blood lines. No one is going to want to keep buying from you if you have little scrappy birds. You need to have room for breeding, and each specific breed will have to have their own breeding pen, otherwise they wouldn't be pure bred.

This information isn't meant to offend, but there is A LOT to think about before even starting to sell live chicks or eggs. Even for myself that is on a small scale, there is a lot to go into it, and if you're a responsible breeder, you'll do everything you can to provide the best quality birds. I'm STILL on a waiting list to be NPIP certified in my state due to covid, and I have 100 or less birds, which is a small amount for NPIP certification, still it will take a few months to get everything processed. And I have to do this annually to comply with my state's agricultural laws/ordinances.

Back
Top Bottom