Starting a Hatchery

I wanted to add to what I posted:
If you're just selling locally I wouldn't worry about all of the certifications or not, but definitely always try your best to have good quality birds. This means buying your breeding stock probably from a good, reliable breeder rather than a hatchery or feed store. I wasn't trying to scare you away from having a small hatchery and selling chicks on the side, but there is a lot more than just having happy birds that goes into this. It takes time, dedication, and money (feed, building, and advertising costs). And like I mentioned above, if you're a GOOD, reliable breeder and care about the quality you are providing to others when you sell your chicks, you'll try to have the best blood lines you can get as well as a clean bill of health. Happy birds is a great plus, but not the thing that will be the most successful. Prices of your birds also will be competing with hatchery prices, so you need to have better quality birds at a reasonable price.
As far as breeds go, I'd stick with anywhere between 5-15 breeds. Do your research on what sells and what you think would be a good choice to profit on. I believe any breed can be successful if you have good quality and advertisement. We currently have 12 breeds and I can say my best sellers are silkies and polish, but I sell mixed all the time when my chickens aren't in a breeding pen, and this is just selling locally until next spring.

I wanted to add to what I posted:
If you're just selling locally I wouldn't worry about all of the certifications or not, but definitely always try your best to have good quality birds. This means buying your breeding stock probably from a good, reliable breeder rather than a hatchery or feed store. I wasn't trying to scare you away from having a small hatchery and selling chicks on the side, but there is a lot more than just having happy birds that goes into this. It takes time, dedication, and money (feed, building, and advertising costs). And like I mentioned above, if you're a GOOD, reliable breeder and care about the quality you are providing to others when you sell your chicks, you'll try to have the best blood lines you can get as well as a clean bill of health. Happy birds is a great plus, but not the thing that will be the most successful. Prices of your birds also will be competing with hatchery prices, so you need to have better quality birds at a reasonable price.
As far as breeds go, I'd stick with anywhere between 5-15 breeds. Do your research on what sells and what you think would be a good choice to profit on. I believe any breed can be successful if you have good quality and advertisement. We currently have 12 breeds and I can say my best sellers are silkies and polish, but I sell mixed all the time when my chickens aren't in a breeding pen, and this is just selling locally until next spring.
thank you for all the info! I️ have been looking into getting certified but I️ didn’t know where to start. How are your breeding pens set up? I’m going to need to build some. I️ am just planning on selling locally but it doesn’t hurt to start getting certified now. I️ read about this free government program that you could submit cultures from your birds to and they would check for diseases, but I️ don’t remember the name. I’ve always wanted polish, I’ll have to try and find a breeder. As far as gamebirds, I️ sell purebred Blue Slate Turkey poults every year locally and they sell pretty well. I️ have Coturnix quail and am currently incubating celadon and button quail eggs. I️ have a lot of CLB Hens, I’m not sure if they would sell well if I️ get a rooster. Oh I️ also am thinking about breeding my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte as well. My hen is stunning.

thank you for all the info! I️ have been looking into getting certified but I️ didn’t know where to start. How are your breeding pens set up? I’m going to need to build some. I️ am just planning on selling locally but it doesn’t hurt to start getting certified now. I️ read about this free government program that you could submit cultures from your birds to and they would check for diseases, but I️ don’t remember the name. I’ve always wanted polish, I’ll have to try and find a breeder. As far as gamebirds, I️ sell purebred Blue Slate Turkey poults every year locally and they sell pretty well. I️ have Coturnix quail and am currently incubating celadon and button quail eggs. I️ have a lot of CLB Hens, I’m not sure if they would sell well if I️ get a rooster. Oh I️ also am thinking about breeding my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte as well. My hen is stunning.
Turkeys and quail will probably do good. Like I said, any breed can sell well as long as you're a good, reliable breeder selling quality, healthy birds. If you're selling locally I wouldn't worry too much about certification unless you just want it, but if you're selling out of state I'd definitely look into it. Try asking people on your state's thread on here (BYC). Also ask people on you local poultry or livestock pages about getting certified in your state and what the process is.

For breeding pens, you don't need anything fancy as long as it isn't long-term. I wouldn't keep any birds confined in a small area for more than a few weeks. For us, it's all about rotation. We are still working on breeding pens, so I don't have updated pics until next spring probably, but we are wanting to do small scale hoop coops for next year's breeding season and only have between 3-5 hens and one rooster in the pens for a few weeks at a time.

Right now we've been using our 2 old rabbit tractors. At one point we even used them for quail (not a good idea). These are old pictures, but we added different waterers, feeders, and 2 nesting areas per pen and cover it more when it's hot or raining. You wouldn't want to use chicken wire though if you have predator issues. Luckily we have 2 LGDs that guard and the pens are in a fenced area.

Attachments

• 20210914_115728.jpg
    20210914_115728.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200907_081628.jpg
    20200907_081628.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 2
Turkeys and quail will probably do good. Like I said, any breed can sell well as long as you're a good, reliable breeder selling quality, healthy birds. If you're selling locally I wouldn't worry too much about certification unless you just want it, but if you're selling out of state I'd definitely look into it. Try asking people on your state's thread on here (BYC). Also ask people on you local poultry or livestock pages about getting certified in your state and what the process is.

For breeding pens, you don't need anything fancy as long as it isn't long-term. I wouldn't keep any birds confined in a small area for more than a few weeks. For us, it's all about rotation. We are still working on breeding pens, so I don't have updated pics until next spring probably, but we are wanting to do small scale hoop coops for next year's breeding season and only have between 3-5 hens and one rooster in the pens for a few weeks at a time.

Right now we've been using our 2 old rabbit tractors. At one point we even used them for quail (not a good idea). These are old pictures, but we added different waterers, feeders, and 2 nesting areas per pen and cover it more when it's hot or raining. You wouldn't want to use chicken wire though if you have predator issues. Luckily we have 2 LGDs that guard and the pens are in a fenced area.
Ok I️ was looking into chicken tractors and that is probably the way to go. The biggest thing I️ was reading about with NPIP is biosecurity. It said had to have a plan in place to control the rodent population. Does this mean barn cats? Since they’re outside I️ never really thought about it.

Ok I️ was looking into chicken tractors and that is probably the way to go. The biggest thing I️ was reading about with NPIP is biosecurity. It said had to have a plan in place to control the rodent population. Does this mean barn cats? Since they’re outside I️ never really thought about it.
I prefer not to have a cat, personally. My husband can't stand them for one and two, they use the "litter box" everywhere. In my opinion that doesn't really help with biosecurity. I think as far as rodent control, that's a whole other ball game. I'd prefer using traps or possibly even poison, although that's not the best way to go since it effects wildlife as well. Do your research and see what works for you. I'm not keen on barn cats, but some people would argue otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom