Starting a new flock!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lark60, May 26, 2019.

1. Lark60

Lark60 In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Hello, I am new to raising chickens and have my first eggs in the incubator. My sister has a flock and gave me 9 fertile eggs (that's the max my incubator can hold for chicken eggs). I candled them at her house and found one was cracked so she swapped it out with another one. I am so excited! There are 3 brown eggs, 3 pink eggs and 3 green eggs. The rooster is a Barred rock and the hens are either Araucana, barred rock or a sexed link that I can't remember what she called the hen. I candled the eggs on day 7 and had to remove 2 eggs. One quit growing early and the other had a blood ring. There was movement in 6 eggs and one of the green eggs was hard to see through. Half of the egg is dark and the other half I can see light when I hold the egg on the light at just the right angle. The eggs are loosing weight at 16% so I will check them again on day 14. I tweek the humidity twice a day to keep it around 45-55% and the temp is steady at 37.9. I just built the brooder and am in the process of adapting my shed to be a coop.

As for me, I am a retired physician, live alone in Arizona, have raised many different anamals and this will be my first time raising chickens. My plan is to raise dual purpose chickens. I live within the city limits so I can have 8 hens but no roosters.

2. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Welcome to chicken keeping (and BYC)! You're gonna love it. :D

If you have any questions feel free to let the good folks here know. They're a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be tapped.

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby. I wish you the best of luck with your hatch.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I'm working on a shed to coop conversion myself. It still takes a long time to get it done!

8. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Good morning and welcome to the BYC flock! I haven't gotten brave enough to try incubating eggs yet, but I have my first hatch being mailed from a hatchery soon. Best of luck with your eggs.

9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: