Starting bachelor pad

Cheryl lowe

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Uk
Hi what’s the best age to seperate the cockerels and create bachelor pad ?
I have 13 chickens in total - 5 of which baby chicks ( 7 weeks old)- 3 of which boys.
The chicks live in same enclosure as the Older hens just separated with fence - so can fly over if really want. One of cockerels has been sitting on the fence and watching the older hens - don’t know if he’s just curious or starting to take control of the older hens?
Don’t want him to be disappointed as he won’t be living with any of them! 👀

You can separate them whenever you want to. I don't know of any real advantages to waiting or any advantages to not waiting. What is most convenient to you?

Even before seven weeks of age cockerels tend to be more curious and bolder than pullets. You can see some different behaviors. But until they hit puberty any issues between the boys and the hens are probably just chick to adult integration issues. Because of their personality the boys are ore likely to get themselves in trouble compared to the girls.

Once puberty hits the boys you will see some different behaviors. With mine that is initially pointed more to the pullets than the adult hens but it can soon involve the adults too. As Alaskan said there is no telling when puberty will hit them.

You can separate them whenever you want to. I don't know of any real advantages to waiting or any advantages to not waiting. What is most convenient to you?

Even before seven weeks of age cockerels tend to be more curious and bolder than pullets. You can see some different behaviors. But until they hit puberty any issues between the boys and the hens are probably just chick to adult integration issues. Because of their personality the boys are ore likely to get themselves in trouble compared to the girls.

Once puberty hits the boys you will see some different behaviors. With mine that is initially pointed more to the pullets than the adult hens but it can soon involve the adults too. As Alaskan said there is no telling when puberty will hit them.
Thankyou for feedback

Back
Top Bottom