starting broilers---best feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by nadams4, Mar 10, 2008.

1. nadams4

nadams4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    Ohio
    What feed do you prefer? What is the protein %?

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I've always just used the chick starter/grower . You don't want too high of protien because broilers tend to pack on the pounds as it is . I butcher mine @ about 8 weeks and usually get anywhere from 4-6 lbs after dressing . Good luck to you ![​IMG]

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Broiler feed is starter/finisher. You just feed them the same stuff until processing. The % will be around 18 or 20%. I don't think it makes a herrendous difference which % you go with.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I think that giving fast growing broilers a feed too low in protein is like putting regular octane in a performance vehicle. I have been feeding feeds with protein levels above 21%. This go round I am feeding game bird starter at 28% and will switch to Purina Flock Raiser at 21+%. Neither of the feeds have antibiotics and stuff I don't want. The first time I raised Cornish/Rocks I fed them on Show Chow Broiler (Purina) all the way through. I think that was around 22% and feed free choice the whole time. I butchered them at 5.5-6 weeks and they were all about 5 pounds dressed. Never had any leg problems. I did give them vitamins in their water every other week for 3 days in a row.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The leg issues are linked to calcium/phosphorus intake rather than too much or too low protein.

6. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Greyfields,
    You are are so knowledgeable and helpful. Why aren't you a moderator yet?[​IMG]

7. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Hey birdbrain..... I was just wondering if you tend to have alot of fat at processing time ? Mine do and I only feed the starter/grower . Maybe it's just the quality of birds I had . I'm too lazy to go out and find the % of protien , but I think it's around 19% .[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  8. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    They have quite a pad of fat around the vent, but other than that they don't have whole lot under the skin. Since these birds are on a higher ration than last year's it will be interesting to compare. I was astounded at how fast they grow and plan to butcher them when they get to about 5.5-6 pounds live weight. Much after that and they seem to be a bit stringy. Save that fat and render it for use in cooking.

9. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Interesting....I found mine to be a bit stringy too . I thought it might be because I only cooled them for 4 hours . Some say to keeep them cooled over night and process them the next day . I'm going to try it with my first batch and see where it leads ! Thanks for the info birdbrain , always nice to get other peoples info and compare it to your own ![​IMG]

10. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    do you mean leave the guts in overnight?
    or just put them in bags to freeze the next day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by