Starting brooder build have questions.

Quote:
JUST A WARNING the vinyl flooring might be to slick for the chicks to grip on you should really use papaer towel the first week and then pine shavings if the slip and cant get up they will get spraddle leg were they cant keep there legs together read up on it in the search section just want you to have a good experience
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Oceanseve is right. Its 1/2 sq ft (6" x 6") or 36 sq inches per chick to 4 weeks. A 3ʻ x 3ʻ brooder will house 18 chicks by that formula. CTChickenmom has her conversions wrong. 6 sq inches is only 2" x 3" or barely enough room for a 4 week old chick to sit down in. Likewise 9 sq inches is 3" x 3". A little better but still not what they need or want.

Quote:
Oceanseve is right. Its 1/2 sq ft (6" x 6") or 36 sq inches per chick to 4 weeks. A 3ʻ x 3ʻ brooder will house 18 chicks by that formula. CTChickenmom has her conversions wrong. 6 sq inches is only 2" x 3" or barely enough room for a 4 week old chick to sit down in. Likewise 9 sq inches is 3" x 3". A little better but still not what they need or want.

I don't know what the recommendations are but I do know that your math is incorrect. 36 sq inches is 1/4 sq foot, not 1/2 sq ft. CTChickenMom stated 6 square inches instead of 6 inches squared. They're two different things.

Last edited:
My husband got the 3'x3' plywood crate we cleaned it up my 6 year old son sanded it down so his chickes won't get splinters. Put a plexi glass window in the side and legs to keep it up high enough to keep a big dog nose out. He even made little perches to put in it. We will finish the top tomorrow. My husband said if we get to many extra chicks he can add on if we need to. The best part is we havn't had to spend any money yet on building the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom