Starting chicks on a wire mesh/screen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by From the North, Jan 29, 2013.

1. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    My chicken book (which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, see my review if interested) says that chicks should be started on a light metal mesh to allow droppings to fall through for easy cleaning and to give them something to grip. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else yet; is this a common method?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is the way I do it. You will get a lot of people freak out about this, thinking that this is going to hurt their itsy bitsy feet, but it's the way I do it and I have not seen any feet problems.

My brooder is in the coop to start with. If you are raising them in your house, this might not suit you as well. And you need a really good draft guard all the way to the floor or ground if you so this.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    As long as the mesh/wire is small (the openings), I can't see a problem. I think the biggest concern is feet slipping thru the wire and legs getting broken. And, if you're brooding outside, predators can come by and nibble off toes/feet/legs. Good luck!
    Nikki

4. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    It must be a lot harder to keep warm with a set up like this, no?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yes, unless they're in your house. Which would be pretty yucky, IMO.
    Nikki

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

That depends on your draft guard. I have not had any problem keeping them warm at all.

I keep one end of my brooder warm and let the rest cool off as it will. A broody hen does not warm up the entire world for her chicks. She provides a warm place for them to go when they need it. Think along those lines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by